Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 01:41:10 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  iUndelete (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  need help with undeleting files
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: need help with undeleting files  (Read 7029 times)
ninja9r94

« on: April 01, 2011, 09:04:54 PM »

I deleted some files last night and have downloaded your software and only part of what i deleted comes up on the "tree" list.  and that one I cannot see... it's an excel file... can you help?
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 10:15:08 PM »

I'm not sure I understand what it is you're seeing, so some generic info:
Deleted files can become unrecoverable very quickly. It all depends on how much is done on the drive, what the file-system type is, and how long you waited after deleting to use iUndelete. For instance, if you installed iUndelete to the same drive that had the deleted files, there's a chance that the files are now gone. The program is very good at finding files; in general, if the files aren't in the tree list, they're not recoverable.

ninja9r94

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 11:55:58 PM »

Ok, that's what I was affraid of.  But you did not answer the other question... why is the excel file that comes up not readable?  It looks like a bunch of symbols and not exactly in a spreadsheet format.  I cannot see how the files were replaced as I had not done much on the computer and it was within 24hrs.  Also since either the program either only found one file thats either readable or not (if so please tell me how)... is it possible to get the refund? 
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 08:23:21 AM »

The XLS file is most likely damaged because parts of the location where it was stored have been re-used, so there might be gaps in the file. Also, office files are very susceptable to damage. There are tools out there that might be able to repair the file, but it seems unlikely in this case. Google office recovery if you want to take a look.
Are you sure you want the refund? You should keep iUndelete installed and ready for when this happens again. If you delete something and then need to install iUndelete your chances will be severely diminished, like what happened now.

ninja9r94

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:53:53 PM »

I really cannot see how the files were replaced with new information as I had only surfed the net since the deletion.  I had not saved one thing in my documents since.  Regardless, like you said they are gone so it really doesn't matter.  I do want the refund as I don't see this happening again, lesson learned and I will not procrastinate on backing up my business records again.  Losing all of last years records and 1/3 of this years definitely was a tough one to learn though.  Thank you for your help and I'll pass on your site if I hear of someone who may need it. 
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 07:44:12 AM »

I really cannot see how the files were replaced with new information as I had only surfed the net since the deletion.  I had not saved one thing in my documents since.

It does not matter who is doing the saving or where it is saved. The MFT entries for the deleted files, and space previously allocated to those files can be re-used by anything (including your web browser, Windows doing maintenance, programs updating in the background etc.) at any time. Most web-browsers are constantly saving files, it's called caching.

I do want the refund as I don't see this happening again, lesson learned and I will not procrastinate on backing up my business records again.

It's a bit like returning the little first aid kit you keep in the house and the car because you won't be needing it anymore ... I have submitted the refund.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length