Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2019, 07:30:02 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Diskpatch didn't find any problems, but still won't boot
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diskpatch didn't find any problems, but still won't boot  (Read 8505 times)
BWilliams

« on: May 17, 2011, 07:53:49 PM »

Hello,
I have a laptop that will not boot and doesn’t display error messages.  The PC finishes the POST and then just sits there with a black screen.   The BIOS recognizes the HDD.  The HDD contents appear to be completely intact, if I boot from a BART CD I can see all the files.

As suggested by the website, I downloaded a trial version and tried it on my PC.  Based on the log file, it looks to me like no problem was found.  I have attached the log file; hopefully someone can point me to the errors I missed in the report.  I was hoping to verify the software will fix my problem before purchasing the program.

Thanks,
BWilliams

[attachment deleted by admin]
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:28:02 PM »

Two things jump out:

1. The MBR boot code is non-standard or corrupt. A refresh may help, but if you are using some sort of boot manager you should look at that first.

2. More serious: the PC does not seem to recognize the disk correctly. The volume that is in the MBR is larger than the disk, so the volume gets "truncated". This is pretty bad (if it is indeed the case), because this may cause serious damage to the volume. Stop using the disk and read up on this particular problem before continuing work on the disk:
www.48bitlba.com
Verify that this is or is not an issue, then continue.

If 2 is the cause you may need to ask yourself why this suddenly occurred. Has something changed in the PC? Or has it always been a problem and has it gone unnoticed until now?

BWilliams

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 06:25:43 AM »

I am not using any boot manager software.  I think I can fix the MBR Boot code problem, but more important how do I fix issue 2.

For the moment I am going to assume something changed the MBR and posssibily pieces of the partition table.  This would explain the non-standard MBR boot code and the size issue.  I guess I am confused how to deal with the invalid size issue. 

Can I calculate the correct Total NFTS Sectors, or is it a value based upon how the drive is partitioned???  I assume most software programs derive the total sectors from the partition table and would therefore report what is set within the MBR. How do I determine the correct value??

Could an invalid size possibly cause the MBR to get corrupted??

THANKS,
BWilliams
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 09:13:27 AM »

You're missing the point. Usually it's like this:

A volume is created on a disk at some time. Then, something changes and the PC doesn't recognize the disk's full size anymore. Problems arise.

In almost all of these cases the volume's size was the telltale: the volume size is correct, the disk's size isn't, it's actually larger. You need to figure out why the PC doesn't see the disk correctly (anymore).

It is true though that it could be the other way round: the disk size is correct and the volume's size is no longer good. But this is a very unlikely thing, for a number of reasons. The website I pointed you to explains all this quite well, make sure you read it and understand it.

Also, it's possible the disk actually is 128Gb in size, which means other things are wrong. Verify this.

BWilliams

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 03:13:20 AM »

I understand now, and after thinking about it I remember how the PC was setup.  I replaced the HDD with a larger device a while back and used a WinXP-Pro with SP1 CD to perform the install.  Since then I have updated to SP2 and now SP3, but never corrected the partition size.  So the drive was never using its true size of 160GB.  The things you learn when reading articles on the web, thanks www.48bitlba.com.

I can think of 2 options that I have at this point.
a) Install Windows on top of the existing copy of Windows using at least an SP2 CD (per www.48bitlba.com).  I don’t know if this will fix the boot problem.  Run a 3-party tool to change the partition size to the full disk size.
b) Wipe the drive and perform a new install using at least an SP2 CD (per www.48bitlba.com).  This method will automatically set the partition to the max disk size.

Do you have any opinions on option (a)?

It sounds like DiskPatch cannot solve my boot problem at this time.

Thanks,
BWilliams
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 09:03:41 AM »

(A) is a bad idea. This volume can not be trusted anymore. Remember, in this sort of situation, if windows wants to write something past the (incorrectly) detected end of the disk, it will wrap around and write it somewhere at the start of the disk. This damages or even kills the volume.

(B) is the only way to go.

Or you could use the SP1 or SP0 version of XP you have (wipe the hard disk first), install windows in a small volume (say 16Gb), then install SP2 and SP3, and then create a larger volume in addition to the one already there.

Even so, you will first need to address the main problem: currently, that disk is too large and you need to fix that first, one way or the other.

I'm sure you already thought of this but just in case: you have access to the volume now (using the methods you described). Make backups while you still can, before getting your hands dirty and starting the re-install.

BWilliams

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 06:46:29 PM »

I was hoping to not have to reinstall everything, bummer.  Once you commented about the OS not knowing the correct size of the disk, I had a feeling that a full reinstall would be required. 

Yes I have created a full backup.  Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for all your advice. Smiley

Another question:  how many sectors does Diskpatch save with the Save MBR capability?  Somewhere I read the actual “boot” sectors required for booting from a HDD is 16 sectors.  Somewhere else I read 63 sectors.  Sixteen seems to a more realistic number.

Thanks again,
BWilliams
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 09:16:28 AM »

When the MBR partitioning scheme is used there are only two types of sectors that define a volume (externally, so apart from the stuff inside the volume): the MBR, and a boot sector (one per volume). These are 1 sector in size, each. So DP backups these up, for every volume. Read more here (if you want):
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/terminology.htm
The DP manual also has loads of info on this.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length