Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2019, 07:06:06 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Vista - No boot after Bad Software install
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vista - No boot after Bad Software install  (Read 3697 times)
Mi-Skier

« on: June 01, 2011, 02:26:49 AM »

Greetings;
I am attempting to repair a hard disk that had became corrupted when someone  Wink tried to install some stupid software.  The computer is an Acer laptop running Vista.  The recovery partition, the active partition, MBR and I believe the partition boot sectors were damaged, so I purchased a really cool program called DiskPatch to see what I could do with it.  Oh, and I never made the backup disks...

The driveís data looks intact, can view, copy, etc. files from all of the directories from the Windows / active partition using systemrescuecd with ntfs-3g.  Bootmgr, BCD, winload.exe and ntoskrnl.exe all look good (same size reported as another identical Acer laptop, MD5ís identical for Bootmgr and winload). 

Rebuilt the partition table and the boot sectors (megabyte aligned for Vista) with DiskPatch, set the active partition, refreshed the MBR, and injected boot code in the partition boot sector.   
The computer now starts to boot and hangs with 5 extended ASCII characters on the screen (243,229,142,228,182).

I noticed when performing the inject boot code there was a selection for 2000/2003/XP and another for 9x / ME.  Is Vista / W7 included in the 2000/2003/XP group or did I miss something?

Acer Aspire 4520, Single drive 120G, Vista Home Premium 32-bit, SP2.
Thanks, MI-Skier
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 08:56:48 AM »

First, if you can access your data you are already out of the woods. Make sure you backup the stuff that's needed and then start working on the boot problem.
Without wanting to sound blunt, we don't support windows boot issues; if you have access to the data we're essentially done. However, post a support analysis log so we can have a look.
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guide_supportanalysis.htm

If the data was accessible you should not have re-created the partition table and/or other structures. It will now be tricky to find out what the original problem was. In general, if data is accessible, make backups first THEN start messing about. Also because when data is accessible the disk's structures are likely to be okay, so don't fix what isn't broken.

Is Vista / W7 included in the 2000/2003/XP group
Yes.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length