Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 09:14:15 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  Misc. Tools (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Need to Wipe MBR and it isnt working
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need to Wipe MBR and it isnt working  (Read 5582 times)
Polar

« on: June 06, 2011, 04:32:28 AM »

Hello;

I replaced a 90 GB drive with a 180GB SSD. When I did the data restore, I inadvertently replaced the MBR from the backup.  Thus, my MBR now has the old information and shows a 90 GB disk instead of a 180 GB disk.  Can you please tell me how to use the MBRTool properly to kill the MBR so I can get access to the full 180 GB disk? 

I have tried using the wipe option, but it always seems to return to saying that the drive is only 90GB and the last sector is what it should have been with the old HD MBR.

Thanks.

Mark

Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:59:45 AM »

Hello,

MBRtool can't resize partitions. So if you'd backup the MBR from a 90GB disk that contained one 90GB partition, no matter where you restore this MBR to, a 120 or a 200 or a 900 GB disks, it will always show a 90 GB partition.

When I did the data restore, I inadvertently replaced the MBR from the backup.

With what did you do a data restore?

What you also need to figure out, is if your system supports 48 LBA addressing fully (see. www.48bitlba.com). And what might help me understand what's going on is a DiskPatch (demo) support analysis logfile (http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guide_supportanalysis.htm).

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Polar

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 04:51:36 PM »

Hi Joep;

Thank you for the note.  I am not adept at h/w, so I really appreciate your help.  I used Acronis True Image Home 2010 (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/) for the restore.  I selected the MBR record to restore (bad move) and it seemed to have wiped out the MBR and replaced it with one that mimicked the old drive.  I figured that if I wiped the MBR, and try to repartition the h.d. it would sort itself out.  That didn't work.

It seems that the number of Cyl/Head/sectors are written into t he bios and I can't seem to find anywhere to change that either.

I hope this information helps.  As I mentioned I do  not know h/w very well, so I am just trying to get a handle on this.

Thanks.

Mark
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 08:13:16 AM »

Hello,

Can I see that DiskPatch logfile please? (http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guide_supportanalysis.htm)

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length