Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2019, 01:24:56 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Cloning - Can I abort halfway and change skipped sectors without restart??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cloning - Can I abort halfway and change skipped sectors without restart??  (Read 6526 times)
matt_ccsp

« on: October 04, 2008, 02:39:47 PM »

Hi,

I'm currently trying to clone a 60Gb HD using Pass 1. I've hit a huge number of bad sectors and the process has almost stopped! (time has rolled past 999 and going back up!) Can I change the "skipped sectors" to a higher value and continue? Either way, my disk's reported health is just 13%, so what would you recommend to set the "skipped sectors" to? I'm using the default of 1024 at the moment.

thanks,

Matt
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 06:57:03 PM »

Restarting the clone would mean that the cloned area sofar won't benefit from the pass 2 operation: if you start again that's literally the case, you start again. The thing is, that's not a bad thing. What has been cloned sofar will stay on the target disk and will only be overwritten when the cloning process reaches that particular area. So re-cloning an area is not a bad thing: who knows, things may turn out better because gaps may be filled in that were skipped the first time.

About the question: you can stop the clone and adjust the skip factor, but you would have to restart the clone to benefit from that adjustment during phase 2 of the clone (when the skipped areas are cloned). You can't change the skip setting and continue where you left off (you can't abort, change settings, and then continue). Actually, that would make a nice feature and will be noted (so thanks for that). What you CAN do is simply leave the area that was cloned sofar and start (after having done the adjustment) the clone again at the point where you stopped the clone the first time. Depending on how much was skipped the first time you can always re-do that area afterwards.

If the disk is in bad shape speed may be of the essence. I would set the skip area to the highest possible value.

I know this may sound a bit fuzzy but it's kinda tricky to explain. If you fully understand the clone process it will make sense. If you need more clarification, please ask.

matt_ccsp

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 09:09:45 AM »

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response.

I have restarted the whole clone process from the start with skipped sectors set to 8192. First pass went ok. The second pass has been moving very very slowly to around 76%. I waited all weekend but I was still at 76%. The read sectors and errors where still increasing very slowly, but I decided to try and escape the process. This did not work! I pressed escape many times until the keyboard buffer filled and I got the loudspeaker click. The process would still not abort. In the end I resorted to resetting the PC.

I've now load up Diskpatch again to carry on the Pass2 from the last sector read. However, when I choose 2nd pass only, I get an error message "Clone DataSector not found, pass2 aborted"

What does this error mean? I wish to try and continue the clone from the last read sector.

If I leave the second pass at 76%. Would I still be able to recover the data? Do I need to run some other diskpatch function on the newly cloned HD to recover my files using a recovery program in windows?

Hope you can help!,

Thanks,

Matt
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 10:03:04 AM »

Hello,

During 2nd pass, when dealing with a bad disk, control will largely be at the BIOS level: DiskPatch requests a sector to be read and at that point passes control to the BIOS. While control lies with the BIOS, DiskPatch will be unable to handle user requests (pressing escape). It can take quite some time for the BIOS to return control to DiskPatch - for as long as the disk is trying to recover from an error, this can be seconds per bad sector.

As DiskPatch wasn't offered a chance to update it's 2nd pass bookeeping (PC was reset), the 2nd pass can't be continued.

Can you post a logfile so we can determine the type of read error? The logfile created during the clone, maybe just zip up the entire DPFILES folder and email that.

Yes, it is likely you will need file recovery software to recover files. Depends on what sectors were damaged, if file system structures were damaged as a result then it unlikely Windows will be able to mount and access the clone.

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://youtu.be/Ox2F8QRuU5Q
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length