Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 01:45:34 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  iUndelete (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Undelete finds file but will not allow file name
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Undelete finds file but will not allow file name  (Read 6071 times)
Tazman

« on: September 07, 2011, 05:02:39 PM »

I have cut and pasted a file from an external Esata HDD to a NAS drive. The file did not pass through and store on the NAS. Undelete will find the file but does not allocate it a nane and will therefore not recover the file.

Any ideas how to recover the file as undelete acknowledges it is there but without a valid filename and extension?
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 10:51:18 PM »

Hello,

I am not sure I understand ... iUndelete lists the file > you select it > hit the copy button ... and then what happens? Does iUndelete show any messages? And also: What file system are you saving from and to? Isn't it possible to try copying the file locally (to USB disk) and see if that works?

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Tazman

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 12:56:43 PM »

Hi, I am trying to undelete a 1GB home movie and because of the size it is obvious which file it is. However under name the listing is blank and it has moved from its original directory. When I hit copy it sends a blank file with no name or extension and says complete. So it does not actually restore the file it has found. I also know it is the correct file as you viewer enables me to see enough of the code to be certain. Is there a way of copying the file and renaming it before saving?

I am copying from ESATA drive formated under NTFS to NAS Drive formated under NTFS. Iundelete does not give a file name to save the file as see attachment.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 10:46:35 PM »

Hello,

Thanks for the screenshot, that really helps me understand the problem you're facing. But: I am sorry. I am stumped. It's either a problem in iUndelete that I have not seen before. Or it did run into a bunch of valid MFT entries which were flagged 'not in use' (deleted) which simply lack a filename in the appropriate attribute. I have never forseen this and so I have not built in an option to allow you to enter a filename.

If I were you: I'd try for example FileScavenger from www.Quetek.com and see if it can recover the file. Sent me your order ID (by personal message through this board or email) so I can refund your order. If FileScavenger also shows blank filenames then it is probably really an empty filename. You could then try this (with the help of a hex editor like Winhex):

In the (iUndelete) raw preview switch to hex mode > right click > select all. In Winhex copy from clipboard to new file (which it will create on the fly) > pick AsCII HEX > save file nnnnnn.ext, where ext is the extension suitable for the file type you are trying to recover. Or maybe you can also do it with this (free): http://www.hhdsoftware.com/free-hex-editor.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Tazman

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 12:19:42 PM »

Hi thanks,

In another data recovery program it listed it as MFT#5734. Are you planning to do an upgraded version that will allow you to change the name of saved files in future?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length