Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2017, 12:02:40 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  Misc. Tools (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  MBRtool bootable CD not DOS prompting
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MBRtool bootable CD not DOS prompting  (Read 7561 times)
Zy

« on: September 24, 2011, 08:31:53 PM »

Downloaded MBRtool version 2.3.200

To ensure a good burn, I made sure I terminated all nonessential processes and services running on WinXP SP3 before extracting the image to CD-R. Then when I restarted the PC with CD inserted into DVD-RAM (drive-E), I get the following display instead of a command prompt:

FreeDOS kernel version 1.1.35w (Build 2035w_UNSTABLE, Nov 30 2005)
[0 error: cylinder > 1023]
Bad or missing Command Interpreter
Enter the full shell command line:
command.com /P /E:256

I've tried burning (3) dfferent virgin CD-Rs and each time I get the same fault. Other items of the image extract and burn to the CD-R OK, such as the manual and ReadMe files.
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 10:02:52 PM »

That means that the included FreeDOS doesn't like your PC. You can try using different DOS files, if you know how to do that. Or use a different FreeDOS version, or use the original DOS files (if you have them somewhere). I'll see if I can prep a setup that has different DOS files later this week, keep an eye on this spot if you want to use it.

Another trick might be to download and install the DiskPatch Trial version and create a bootable USB key. Then extract/copy the MBRtool.exe file to the USB key and boot from it.

Zy

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 11:01:39 PM »

It's a HP OEM WinXP, not a retail WinXP. Moreover, after (4) years of heavy use I replaced the original HDD with a new one, imaged from the original.

Quite certain HP had done some nonstandard customization to the original HDD's first sector.

Don't recall which imaging utility was used later on. Some imaging utilities do various nonstandard (non-Microsoft) things. Thus the first sector could've gotten further complicated.

Perhaps that's why FreeDOS doesn't like it.
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 11:46:32 PM »

That's quite possible.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length