Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 01:37:42 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  iUndelete (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Recovering deleted photos
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recovering deleted photos  (Read 4175 times)
Nurul

« on: November 22, 2011, 07:30:04 AM »

I've accidentally deleted few photos from my laptop and can't seems to recover them even after using iUndelete. Nothing appeared after I have finished the scan. Maybe the photos are all gone by the time I have finished installing the software. But I tried deleting few more photos and immediately try to recover them again using iUndelete, but still after the scan, no files can be detected. What is happening?
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 08:55:11 AM »

Hello,

For iUndelete it does not matter if you're trying to recover digital images or any other file type. Deleted files may exist for quite some time: (1) their entry in the file system (storing file name etc.) and the (2) actual clusters that were allocated to the file.

If (1) is lost then iUndelete won't even list the file, it has no way of knowing the file was even there.

If (2) is lost then the file can be recovered but it will be corrupt: In this case most likely iUndelete will list a value lower than 100% in the condition column.

If an entire folder was deleted then the files may be recoverable but they may not be where you expect them to be. Apart from (1) and (2) the entry for the directory may have been re-used. In that case iUndelete will generate a folder name but it will not be the name you expecte it to be. Easiest then would be to use filters.

After a file was deleted the it is more or less a matter of coincidence if and when (1) or (2) are reclaimed by the OS when it wants to store data. Can be seconds after deletion or a matter of weeks. If the deleted data was on a system drive then Windows is almost constantly writing to the disk + there is a chance that all kind of other back-ground processes write to the disk (updaters, log files, background defrag). Deleted file recovery is a combination of techniques (finding deleted file entries) and luck. If there is a deleted file entry then there's no doubt that iUndelete will find it. The luck I can't help with.

Where are/were the images stored? On a memory card, or harddisk? If you scanned a harddisk then it would be really strange if nothing at all was detected.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length