Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 09:15:03 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  Misc. Tools (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  DiskTune Usage
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DiskTune Usage  (Read 4661 times)
Radelen

« on: November 23, 2011, 05:35:28 PM »

Hello all!  Smiley

Firstly, thank you for the opportunity to have that amazing tool for free!  Cool

I'm new here, so please excuse me if my post is misplaced. I have read all support info in the help and on your site, but I still have not found the answer of my question...

What is your opinion about cleaning the temp and junk files at regular intervals (no matters using some third-party cleaners or built-in Windows Disk Cleanup)? And does it help or improve the defragmentaion in any way? (Because as far as for performance I think there is no use from such a maintenance!)

I have tried many other similar tools before and for now I'm pretty impressed from DiskTune! It's just amazing - small, fast, no frills, no bugs! Similarly so far I have read (or heard) many opinions regarding the question mentioned above, but having in mind what an excelent software you've developed for me would be very precious exactly your answer.

Thanks in advance!
Radelen
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:17:32 PM »

Hello,

Thank you for all the kind words concerning Disktune.

As a matter of fact I find myself manually cleaning temp internet files and such before I run a quick background defrag. First of all, it does not seem to have an impact on the web browser performance once these files are gone. And second, when they are gone Disktune doesn't have to deal with them. So, I am considering an extra option where you can tell Disktune to clean up those files before defragging, but I am not sure yet. It would be convenient on the one hand, on the other I like the idea of limiting Disktune to it's primary goal, defragmentation and optimization.

That being said, I find myself defragging less and less: After I installed some software I go to the software's install folder and use the context menu to defrag that particular folder. And once every one or 2 months I put it to work at night to do a full disk optimization. The latter I really like because you can actually feel the result, boots quicker, folder list in Explorer just pop up etc.. Since I upgraded to Windows 7 and a larger harddisk however I find the optimize too slow so I need to improve that.

But back to your question: In general temp files and such won't slow the system down, they basically just sit there. Their presence however may indeed have a performance impact on on-demand virus scanners and defragmentation tools. They do tend to fragment, if I do not clean them up then I estimate at least 50% of the files that need to be moved by a defragger are in fact temporary files.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Radelen

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 10:02:46 PM »

Hi again and thanks for your timely answer! I think it clears up the topic.

Cheers!  Wink
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length