Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2019, 01:21:11 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Surface Scan - Drive Certification Mode ?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surface Scan - Drive Certification Mode ?  (Read 5764 times)
YPT

« on: December 15, 2011, 07:08:55 PM »

Greetings! Smiley

Ran full sector wipe (standard) beforehand.
So data-recovery is NOT an issue.
I simply wish to make a drive reliable for future use.

Read and Write retries have been disabled.  Sector skip has been set to the 8k (8192) maximum.  Read and Write error thresholds have been set to 1.  (Other options have been left alone.)  

The default threshold is 32.  This takes for freak'n ever when there are more than a few bad sectors.  When I set read threshold to disabled, it seems to keep-on trying forever.  When I set it to 1, I have to manually select "disable read retries and continue operation" upon every error.

This is not the behavior that I desire.  

I want the drive/diskpatch, to at the slightest hint of a problem with a sector, *immediately* take it out of service.  I don't want it taking 5 minutes/sector, nor do I want it prompting me on each one.

I want it to this to be quick, and thorough.  
Again, data-recovery is not an issue.  
I simply want the drive-surface to be reliable.

Is it possible to set DiskPatch options, to achieve this desired behavior ?
If not, can you *please* quickly release a patch/update for this ?

It would also be helpful if Diskpatch were capable of taking slow-sectors out of service, as they typically go bad or corrupt data at some point in the near future.  They can also have a marked impact on the speed of the computer when part of a pagefile or filetable is stored on them.  Looking at the read/write arrows at the top right-hand corner of the display, plus current sector increment speeds, and listening to the drive, it is easy to identify slow sectors.  From a technical/programming standpoint I understand that this feature might be more difficult to reliably implement though.  

Thanks.

THE SCENARIO / BACKGROUND INFO:
Laptop has been dropped.
Drive performs as expect however there are numerous
surface errors present toward the beginning platter.  Read/Write
operations occur *quickly* and flawlessly throughout the rest
of the drive.  Rather than identify every error, I plan to simply
partition off the first 10% of the drive as unusable.
(exhausting the drive's spare-pool would be a bad thing)
I want the drive's spare-pool to be available for the remaining
90% of the drive + geometry, bootsector, partition tables and
other such data at the beginning.
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 09:40:23 PM »

Using the following settings should be the quickest way, but there are some 'buts':

read retries disabled
read error threshold disabled
log every read error disabled
disk reset after error disabled
verify fixed bad sector disabled

BUT: DiskPatch doesn't assign or flag bad sectors, that is all handled by the disk. So if things are slow, it's the disk that is taking its time (apart from the DiskPatch user interactions).
R/W scanning that bad area is likely to deplete the spare pool, for obvious reasons. You've already mentioned the best solution: create a partition that doesn't include the known bad areas. The MBR (sector 0) will still be used but all other partition elements are within the area assigned to the volume, so the bad areas (if they are indeed all in the first bit of the disk) should not interfere.

As far as I'm concerned though, the disk should be discarded for having been subjected to gravity. The disk is not likely to be reliable in the near future, if only because you can never completely trust a disk after a fall. Especially if the fall is known to have caused bad sectors.

YPT

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 03:54:50 AM »

Thank you Tom.  Setting the Read/Write Retries and Thresholds, all to disabled, achieves the desired behavior. 

Log, Disk Reset & Verify have all remained at their defaults. 

I suspect that somehow or other, wasn't setting ALL the options as previously noted in my original post. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length