Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2017, 11:58:31 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  Misc. Tools (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Backup of USB drive partitions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Backup of USB drive partitions  (Read 5230 times)
mcjtom

« on: July 06, 2013, 09:54:03 AM »

Hi there,

I have an external USB HD, NTFS formatted and partitioned.  One partition is encrypted with TrueCrypt.  I have backup of TrueCrypt volume header.  I would like also backup the partition structure of the drive, so that in case it is corrupted, I could restore the partitions and thus allow TrueCrypt to find its headers.  The issue was discussed here:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2248671#post2248671

My understanding is that I would need to backup MBR of the disk as well as Volume Boot Records (VBRs) of the partitions and then restore them if they are corrupted.  Is that all that needs to be backed up?  Can MBRTool do that (I understand it backs up the MBR, but what happens with the VBRs)?

Many thanks!

Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »

Hello,

MBRtool only backs up primary partition tables (as found in the MBR). It can also backup the entire MBR (including partition tables or the entire first track of the hard disk. To know what needs to be backed up to recover from disaster you'd need to talk to the truecrypt community. Doing a quick Google search I for example find suggestions that Truecrypt also stores information in between the MBR and the 1st partition boot sector (in effect track 0), so MBRtool could be useful here.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length