Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2019, 01:24:06 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  what to do once you have a clone.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what to do once you have a clone.  (Read 3667 times)
Skyjoos

« on: November 21, 2013, 03:31:24 PM »

Exchange server HD reports critical problems. Shut the thing down and am currently taking a clone. Read in the docs that I should try a boot it so I kinda need some help in where to go from here. Should I just connect it to another windows machine a copy off the files I need assuming they are intact. Can I just boot it?
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 09:12:42 PM »

Should I just connect it to another windows machine a copy off the files I need assuming they are intact. Can I just boot it?
No idea, I can't tell from here what's on that disk.

What to do sort of depends on a lot of things. If it is a non-bootable data disk, or contains data that you need, just connect the disk as a secondary disk and see if data can be copied.
If it is a disk that starts or runs a server (a bootable disk) you should probably do the same before attempting to actually boot the disk. If the clone went okay and all areas were copied, it should be possible to boot the cloned disk. If the source disk was very bad and there are likely to be gaps in the copied data, booting is not wise, obviously.
If the disk is mission critical things may be even different. I'd back up everything on the disk (if possible) before attempting anything like booting.
So you should consider the situation and make the call based on what you see. Given your situation I assume you are a sys admin (or something similar) so you should be able to handle this well.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length