Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2017, 11:57:18 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  Misc. Tools (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  newbie problems with mbrTools
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: newbie problems with mbrTools  (Read 4715 times)
rbm

« on: January 10, 2014, 12:44:35 PM »

hi,
I have had a few problems using the mbrTtools – maybe I have missed something.

1)   Built a floppy disc ok and it booted ok. However when trying to save the mbr data the message appear that saying “No port at 2, no port at 3”. The disc numbering was 128 and 129.  All my hdd discs are SATA – maybe that is the problem?
2)   Tried a similar procedure with a memory disc (2Gb pen drive). mbrTool wrote data to the pen drive (“488Mb of data written to physical disc number 2”). However when the writing had finished the msg said “L\: is not allowed in any write application”. This message appeared immediately the pen drive write was complete.
Just out of interest, I booted this pen drive but it was ignored and my main hdd drive booted instead. I think this is probably my bios not seeing the usb mem. stick though – not sure.

thanks for any help with this.

xp sp3 Gigabyte GA-EP45

ps The documentation is the best I have ever read about the mbr and track 0 data structures.

Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »

Built a floppy disc ok and it booted ok. However when trying to save the mbr data the message appear that saying “No port at 2, no port at 3”. The disc numbering was 128 and 129
This is correct. You probably ran a backup for all disks, so the ports that don't have a disk are reported. The backup worked for port 0(128) and 1(129) and not for 2(130) and 3(131).
However when the writing had finished the msg said “L\: is not allowed in any write application”. This message appeared immediately the pen drive write was complete.
Most likely you had another window (explorer?) open that was accessing the USB drive.

The PC not booting from USB is something that you can fix by checking the PC's boot order. Some older PCs will not allow you to boot from USB at all.

rbm

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 05:44:55 PM »

This is correct. You probably ran a backup for all disks, so the ports that don't have a disk are reported. The backup worked for port 0(128) and 1(129) and not for 2(130) and 3(131).

Ah yes - exactly that - thanks.

However when the writing had finished the msg said “L\: is not allowed in any write application”. This message appeared immediately the pen drive write was complete.
Most likely you had another window (explorer?) open that was accessing the USB drive.

The PC not booting from USB is something that you can fix by checking the PC's boot order. Some older PCs will not allow you to boot from USB at all.

Turns out that msg appears without anything else running (application wise). Anyway there were 2 things discovered.
1) Formatting the pen drive FAT32 needed (advice from another Gigabyte mobo user) before writing mbrTools to it
2) The BIOS lists several usb devices to boot from including "disc". But *none* of those would boot the pendrive. The solution (a guess) was to select the "normal" hdd option and there in all its glory was the pendrive listed as "usb - disc".

mbrTools now working like the gem it is.

thanks

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length