Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2019, 07:05:11 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Is DiskPatch the right program to solve my problem??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is DiskPatch the right program to solve my problem??  (Read 5165 times)
rjballard

« on: January 24, 2014, 03:24:15 AM »

I have a Seagate 3TB usb 3.0 hard drive that I need to get around 2.5TB of data off of. When I plug it in it tells me I need to formate the drive before I can use it. The hard drive shows up in disk management. The "computer" screen shows the drive but gives no information on size or space available. When I try to click on it to open, it tells me I need to formate it. I was able to get some of the data off using "Disc Recoup" but I could never get that program to run to completion because of constant error messages. The drive is still under warranty, but before I formate it and send it back, I want to get as much data off of it as I can. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 09:52:39 AM »

It sounds like the disk may be experiencing physical problems, so repairing this is unlikely. You should probably verify this by running a health check:
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guide_smartcheck.htm
Please note that USB usually does not allow checking the disk health, so if possible you should remove the disk from its enclosure and connect it directly to a PC disk connector. This is a wise thing to do either way because USB does not handle read errors very well.
You could try the iRecover SMART check first (the trial version allows this), sometimes SMART can be read over USB when in Windows.

If the disk is indeed physically damaged and the data is important, you should clone the disk to a new good disk and then work with that clone to rescue as much data as possible. If the damage isn't too severe you could skip cloning and work with the damaged disk directly, but from the sound of your description this may not work out well. You could try iRecover, scan the disk and see what comes up. Given the fact that the disk may be damaged it might be wise to skip the trial and start with the full version of iRecover (accessing a damaged disk may make the situation worse, so any disk read may be the last, so to speak). If it doesn't work out we have a refund policy, so you should be safe as far as that goes.

iRecover also allows you to 'clone' a disk by creating an image of the entire disk. You'll obviously need a lot of space for this. Once completed you can work with the image as if it is a disk, so you won't have to burden the damaged disk further.

Given the disk's size you can not use DiskPatch for repairs or cloning.

rjballard

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 09:10:16 PM »

Thanks very much for the feedback. I will try running a health check. I guess tht will tell me whether there is any chance I can recover some additional files. Since most of my files are photos and videos will I need to use iRecover Prof  versus the Standard?
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »

That depends. Standard should do fine, photos and video files are also just files. The Standard+ version can be used to extract digital image files based on file signatures, so that comes in handy when for instance a memory card has gone haywire. Pro adds a RAID recovery function, which you do not need at this time. This should explain it:
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/FAQ_irecover.htm#F7

If you manage to get a health report, post it here so we can take a look at it and help you diagnose the problem.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length