Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2019, 07:06:26 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  repairing SSD
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: repairing SSD  (Read 6647 times)
mikevonhoene

« on: March 11, 2014, 06:24:53 PM »

After searching the web for issues related to cloning hard disk drives of some earlier Dell laptops, apparently Dell will modify the cloned drive and it will only be as large as the original drive! All else will be hidden! This is what we have done.
Attempted to clone Dell laptop drive ~73 GB in size to a Crucial SSD M500 240GB drive, using Acronis
Attached is the status log from the Crucial drive that now only shows 73gb in size

What I need to do
Repair the Crucial drive (don't care about any data on it) back to its original size and configuration.
Use data recovery to overwrite LBA-3 on the Dell hard drive to zeros. According to web research if I do that and re attempt the cloning, the HPA on the Dell drive will not be copied and all will go as it should!
Sounds simple
Thanks in advance for your help

There is quite a bit of info on the web related to cloning hard drives from earlier Dell laptops with "Media Direct" partitions. If you can work this fix, which I think you can, you will sell quite a bit of your software!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:08:25 AM »

Hi,

You mention a log attached?

There are plenty of freebees to set the HPA, remove/disable it etc., here's a few http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_protected_area#Manipulation_tools.

With MBRtool you could clean track 0 which includes LBA sector 3; use the clean option, not the wipe option.

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://youtu.be/Ox2F8QRuU5Q
mikevonhoene

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 08:11:55 PM »

log now attached
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 09:55:09 PM »

I assume disk 131 in the log is the incorrectly sized disk. It seems to me that you will need the HPA tools to fix this.

mikevonhoene

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 03:46:12 PM »

that is correct!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length