Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 10, 2018, 08:57:57 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  DiskPatch Sector Count Limit ?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DiskPatch Sector Count Limit ?  (Read 4189 times)
YPT

« on: April 01, 2014, 04:35:43 PM »

http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/forum/index.php/topic,1435.0.html

I was just curious if the latest releases now supports 2TB drives ?
Tried to scan it awhile back and it tripped-up on the 2TB drive; toward the end if memory serves.
Now I want to clone the unreliable Western Digital 2TB drive to a reliable Seagate 3TB but wanted to know if I'd be wasting my time.

Thanks again Tom.   Smiley
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:32:48 PM »

Well, DiskPatch currently supports sizes of up to just under 2TB, because of certain limitations. So I'm afraid that in this case you should probably try something else. If the disk isn't in too bad a shape you can use DD, or something similar.

YPT

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 05:14:40 PM »

Have some other utilities that employ BIOS/DOS at the ground-level and they all seem to have issue with the larger capacities.  

One however uses Windows Embedded, possibly version 6 (equivalent to x86 Vista SP0) and didn't have issue with the capacities.  Since there's no logging and minimal UI feedback, have no idea what it did for the 37 uncorrectable sectors identified in SMART stats.  (used SmartCtl to initiate extended self-tests - turning most of the "pending" sectors into "uncorrectable")

Time & cost investments not being prohibitive, may give Windows Embedded a look?
(beyond that everything would have to be Unix/Linux based)

By the way, any idea what the precise sector count limit is for DiskPatch and other BIOS/DOS reliant utilities ?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length