Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 06:18:07 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Data Recovery (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  I need help identifying which drive to scan
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need help identifying which drive to scan  (Read 11092 times)
cabissi

« on: June 10, 2014, 04:41:58 PM »

I am running DiskPatch from a USB drive that I made with the software. Inside of the machine are 6 drives which disk manager identifies as:
Disk 0 Drive E: Data,
Disk 1 Drive D: Win_XP,
Disk 2 C: Win_Vista,
Disk 3 G: Vista_Bkup,
Disk 4 H: XP_Bkup, and
Disk 5 - 232 GB raw healthy partition. 

The disk with problems I am concerned about is the  Disk 2 C: drive Windows Vista 64 bit because my automated backup software says that it fails due to corrupted file. 

The problem that I am having with the current process is that when it asks me to select the drive, Drive 0 is the USB drive which I can tell due to the size and not the Data Drive.  So which one then is the correct drive (1,2,or 3) as these are the only options.  It does not identify the Disk  3-5 as options as far as I can tell.  Fortunately they are not my problem.

How can I definitively identify which disk (Win_Vista) I want to operate on with DiskPatch?

C. Abissi
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 08:34:30 PM »

DiskPatch identifies only the first 4 disks in the system. If you want to make sure you will be working with the correct disk you could disable the disks you don't need in the BIOS.

Finding out which disk you need to look at can be tricky, usually the best way to identify the correct disks is by looking at disk manager and making a note of the disk sizes. Then use the size to select the correct disk.
You can also select any disk in DiskPatch (http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/select_disk.htm) and check the volume list for that disk. If they are volumes on the disk that you want, you've got the right disk.

What is wrong with the disk?

If possible create the following logs for the disk, that way we can take a look:
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guide_supportanalysis.htm
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guide_smartcheck.htm

cabissi

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 01:26:39 PM »

Here are the 3 disk diagnostics.  All 4 disks are the same size, make and model as they were previously part of 2 mirror raids.  in diskpatch the disk 0 is the USB drive I booted from.  These 3 are most likely the E:, D: and C: drives respectively as in drive manager they are disks 0,1,and 2.  Currently I am experiencing longggggg hangups when I try to access my drives. I appreciate any help you can offer before I completely crash.

Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 01:52:25 PM »

What I see:
You have 3 disks in the system, all the same, but one of them does not show up in the health check.
The DiskPatch log shows disk 129 (the second disk in the DiskPatch disk list, the first being the DiskPatch USB bootable disk) as having access problems, though the error type doesn't tell me much.

An odd situation...

Either way, repair isn't the way forward. You need to find out which of the disks is having problems and then think of what to do.

Disk 1 (remember, we start counting at 0, and 0 is the DiskPatch USB disk) is the one with problems so I can't see what's on the disk.
Disk 2 has a volume on it that is named WIN_VISTA and disk 3 has a volume that is named VISTA_BACKU. So that should tell you which disk is disk 129 (disk 1).

Now, what to try... My first thought is to work with the connections (switch disks around and/or disconnect disks) and see what effect that has. Another idea is to connect all disks to another PC and see if their behavior changes. Remember, one disk does not show up in the health log, this is weird.
Never start Windows when doing this, always use DiskPatch to verify the disk's status.

Start with disconnecting the disks that you know are good and connect the problem disk to the first port. Then see what the disk does. DO NOT start Windows with that disk; if the disk has problems then starting Windows could seriously mess things up. So use DiskPatch and that health log test to see how the disk behaves. Once you know what happens at this point you might be able to use the process of elimination to see where the problem lies (with connections, cables, one specific disk etc.).
This is about trying to figure out what is going on, so it will be tricky.

When disconnecting the disks make sure you remember how they were connected. Mark the ports/disks so you know how to put them back. This is important because of Windows; if you start Windows when the disks are disconnected or in a different order, things may go wrong.

cabissi

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 05:28:40 PM »

I have tried twice before separated by more than an hour to respond but the system says I logged in less than 100 seconds before and refuses to post my repsonses.

What I am trying to say is that the mystery disk one has MBR error when read by DiskPatch.  It says that it cannot read it.  Does that alter your advice from what you said in the preceding post?

Chris
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 08:59:58 PM »

I suppose not.

Perhaps the first thing to try is to connect the "MBR read error" disk to another port or another PC and see what that does. That way you can find out where the cause lies: with the disk or elsewhere.

cabissi

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 03:04:08 AM »

Follow-up:

I opened the case and found 6 disks in 2 columns of 3.  I removed the data cable from one disk and booted with my USB drive an inspected the volumes on disks 1,2,& 3 each time unplugging a different drive. From this I learned that the top disk in the left column was the one with the MBR error and since the only disk that I did not find was the Windows_XP volume I concluded that this was the disk that was corrupted.  I replaced it with a new drive and I will recover it from the XXClone volume XP_Backup that is in the machine already.

That should solve the problem. Thanks for your help.

Chris A.
cabissi

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 02:18:14 PM »

Before I start cloning disks I thought that it would be a good idea to assess the integrity of the drives.  Here are the reports on the current C drive (Win+Vista)

Can you advise me if it is ready to be cloned?

cabissi

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 03:36:13 PM »

Hopefully finally.  This is the drive that I plan to clone to the blank HDD to replace the corrupt one.  Could you veryify its health before I do that?

Joep
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »

Hello,

I went through all the logs and your posts. Problem with that many disks which are all same size is telling which disk is which. To make matters simpler I would attach the problem disk to a different PC if possible, or disconnect the other disks for the time being. A different PC would be simplest. Then with this problem disk connected, run the disk health report so we're sure we see that disk in the report. In the reports so far there's not a single disk with an issue as far as SMART is concerned. The fact that it only reports SMART for 2 disks can be simply the controller not reporting SMART for all disks or our SMART application not being able to access all disks.

Do you happen to know the serial number for the bad disk? If we knew that we can see if it is in the SMART report.

With regards to cloning: it is very important that you are absolutely sure which disk is which. If you copy an empty disk to the XP disk, the XP disk will be empty afterwards. Easiest solution is to clone to a different sized disk (larger).

Last log does not include a disk health / SMART report.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
cabissi

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 10:02:46 PM »

Jeep,

Thanks for your response.  The serial number of the corrupted disk is 2061-701622-800 03P   or XW8J03 BNW5 8 0005140 0145  Not sure which is the serial number or possibly S/N: WMATV3829532

You misunderstood my plan.  I already had a clone of the corrupted disk from before.  I was hoping that the information on the 2nd disk would answer the question as to its health, but somehow it was not complete.  My plan is to clone this already existing cloned disk onto a NEW blank HD (the corrupted drive is destined for recycling).  So all I stand to lose is the time needed to reformat the new drive if the clone doesn't work.

By sequentially unplugging each and every drive and rebooting and noting which disk volume was missing in each case I was able to confirm which volume was in which slot of the tower.  Also when I removed this HD the operation became SOOOOOOOOO much faster that I am absolutely certain it was the one with the bad MBR  Further, with it out of the machine the Win_XP is the only unaccounted for drive volume so that confirms which one it is.

Finally, I don't have another machine to move the drive to. The other machines are either notebooks or tablets  So this method will have to suffice.  The bad disk is not being read by DiskPatch due to the MBR errorr.

Thanks for trying.
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 09:53:24 AM »

Hello,

S/N: WMATV3829532

That's what a serial number looks like, but this one doesn't show in the log files. Possibly it will if you connect it to socket 0.

Another option is to do a surface scan using DiskPatch on the disk you want verified. If no errors are reported then the disk is probably ok.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Oloveeyt

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 09:17:29 AM »

I am running DiskPatch from a USB drive that I made with the software. Inside of the machine are 6 drives which disk manager identifies as:
Disk 0 Drive E: Data,
Disk 1 Drive D: Win_XP,
Disk 2 C: Win_Vista,
Disk 3 G: Vista_Bkup,
Disk 4 H: XP_Bkup, and
Disk 5 - 232 GB raw healthy partition. 

The disk with problems I am concerned about is the  Disk 2 C: drive Windows Vista 64 bit because my automated backup software says that it fails due to corrupted file. 

The problem that I am having with the current process is that when it asks me to select the drive, Drive 0 is the USB drive which I can tell due to the size and not the Data Drive.  So which one then is the correct drive (1,2,or 3) as these are the only options.  It does not identify the Disk  3-5 as options as far as I can tell.  Fortunately they are not my problem.

How can I definitively identify which disk (Win_Vista) I want to operate on with DiskPatch?

C. Abissi

Hell! I also meet the same problem when using my external hard drive. Have you gotten the right solution?

Everyday, we meet different problems on external hard drive data loss. I would like to share my experience about  data recovery from portable hdd for free in different situations.
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 09:45:47 AM »

Use the bootable CD if a USB disk doesn't show up. Apart from that, follow the direction in my first 2 posts. And create a fresh thread if you decide to follow up.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length