Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2017, 10:10:22 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Data Recovery (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Win 7 MBR code detected in Win XP partition???
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Win 7 MBR code detected in Win XP partition???  (Read 6512 times)
jbclem

« on: October 30, 2014, 08:03:52 AM »

I lost access to my triple boot computer (Win2000, Win2000, WinXP) and in the attempt to regain access I've gone back to a boot.ini with only WinXP in it.  But when I try to boot up, the boot stalled (with a blinking cursor) just before the splash screen should start up. 

I've tried FixMBR, Fixboot, Bootcfg /rebuild (from Recovery Console), made the partition with WinXP active.  And I've just noticed that when I run MBRCheck (from Hiren's BootCD) it shows the Windows version as Windows XP Professional, but also states "Windows 7 MBR code detected". 

I was thinking of using MBR Tool to backup my MBR and then try to repair it.  But I'm really not sure what it means to have a Windows 7 MBR code detected.  Maybe that's ok and has nothing to do with my problem.  Maybe it means something else...? 

Before I do anything that might mess up my partition record, I'd like to ask for some guidance from this forum.  Can someone comment on this and give me a good direction.

Thanks,  John
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 09:51:53 AM »

First, Hiren's boot cd contains illegally obtained programs. They're not free (except for free-ware tools like MBRtool), they're effectively stolen. FYI.

Win7 boot code in the MBR is not a problem for any Windows version. The MBR boot code doesn't do anything that is related to a certain version of Windows, it simply makes sure that the PC jumps to the active bootable partition. In fact, I think MBRtool also installs Win7 boot code. This was done because that particular boot code works with all Windows versions I checked at the time I built MBRtool.

jbclem

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 12:05:51 PM »

Thanks for the information.  Now I can look in a different direction for a solution to my boot problem,

BTW, does MBRTool run from Dos, Windows, or both?
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 01:11:47 PM »

MBRtool runs in real-mode, so DOS (which is included).

jbclem

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »

I just ran MBRTool to back up my MBR.  The MBR seemed to backup ok, but when I tried to back up the 0 track I received this error message:

"saving mbrtool has encountered an unrecoverable error and has aborted"
Error details:   error code : 51
                           error adres: 20131

Could you give me an idea what this could mean.  Also, I backed up the MBR to file, but didn't see a way to give a path for this file (mbr_bak.drv) and so far haven't been able to find it on the hard drive.  Is there a standard place where it would be backed up to, or do I need to use a floppy disk for the backup?

Thanks  for your help.

John
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 11:20:26 AM »

The files go to the default dir, which is the folder that MBRtool runs from. If you use the USB bootable key, the files will be on the USB key.
I should add that all this is explained in the manual.
I'll look into the error.

Edit: the error is a generic runtime error, which means that something went wrong and the runtime had no idea what that was. Usually that is connected to operations that are performed on faulty hardware (like writing to a defective USB key). As such I have no solution, except to suggest you create your own DOS bootable device (using perhaps Microsoft DOS) to eliminate potential compatibility issues.

jbclem

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 09:19:22 PM »

I was running MBRTool from a bootable CD, perhaps the error message reflects that it couldn't save the 0 Track to the CD.  But I didn't get the error when I saved the MBR, so I'm puzzled by that.

I'll have to see if I can get my older computer to boot from USB, and if so I'll try it that way and see what happens.
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 12:18:21 PM »

Sounds correct. The standard ISO for the current DiskPatch version uses FreeDOS to boot the PC. FreeDOS is known to behave incorrectly when trying things like saving to a drive that doesn't actually allow saving (like a CD). Sorry for the inconvenience, but unfortunately there isn't much I can do about that.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length