Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2019, 07:32:12 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  I can't get a bootable diskpatch disk for desktop computer
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I can't get a bootable diskpatch disk for desktop computer  (Read 6777 times)
Carannas

« on: December 04, 2014, 05:44:13 PM »

I made a diskpatch bootable CD and it won't boot my desktop computer. It's a gateway LX6810. The disk works in my HP laptop but unfortunately I can't attach my drvie that I need to fix to it. this is what comes up:

Drive is too large to hand, using only 1st 8 GB
  drive 81 heads 0 sectors 0 , total = 0x5D50A3B0-00000001
  drive 82 heads 0 sectors 0 , total = 0x5D50A3B0-00000001
{repeats this several times}
Bad or missing Command Interpreter
Enter the full shell command line:
command.com /P /E;256

I have a 1TB WD bootable Drive (I also put in a 160 WD to try also and same thing)
3TB toshiba - GPT (that went bad when I had taken out a drive and put this in and I think my system tried to boot from it maybe)
3TB toshiba - GPT (identical to the bad one that I prepared to use for data recovery when I tried your irecovery but it stopped and said:

UNABLE TO CONTINUE:
There seem to be no files on the volume
Unable to continue process, program will now terminate.
Not a bug - data is probably beyond repair, or something is misconfigured

That was my first attempt to try to recover the data

I don't know what else in the lines of info you might need so ask away. I'm familiar with some of this tech stuff so hopefully it will make your help easier.

thank you and hope to hear from you soon

Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 08:44:07 AM »

Hello,

drive 81 heads 0 sectors 0 , total = 0x5D50A3B0-00000001
  drive 82 heads 0 sectors 0 , total = 0x5D50A3B0-00000001
{repeats this several times}
Bad or missing Command Interpreter
Enter the full shell command line:
command.com /P /E;256

These are all FreeDOS messages, there seems to be some kind of compatibility issue with the system.
If you like you can try this version (without FreeDOS):
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/downloads/Demo/DiskPatchX_Setup.exe

UNABLE TO CONTINUE:
There seem to be no files on the volume
Unable to continue process, program will now terminate.
Not a bug - data is probably beyond repair, or something is misconfigured

Not a good sign. It's the message iRecover displays when it finds nothing to work with.

May be a good idea, you start by explaining what happened to the disk you're trying to recover data from.

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://youtu.be/Ox2F8QRuU5Q
Carannas

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 07:19:26 PM »

Here's what happened I think. I had taken out my system disk on my desktop to work with a bad system disk from another system. I forgot that my data drive was attached via external case and my computer tried to access it i guess so something showed up on screen that indicated to me that it was trying to access the external drive so I immediately shut it down (not like in the middle but when the error message came up) and removed it and proceeded with other bad drive which I can't check out cuz my diskpatch won't boot on my desktop system. So this was a couple weeks ago so I am just now getting around to working on it. It has my personal DVD's that I gradually backing up  and video recordings and backups of my main drive but I have already backed up my main drive to another drive but I hadn't copied my newest recordings and newest additions of DVD's yet so I am really hoping to get those back.

Now like I said it has been a couple weeks and now I see I have my WD 3TB in my external case. So now I am not sure which one has my DVD's the WD (which I am running iRecover on now and 1/3 the way through it shows about 80% red meaning bad blocks. grr talk about not looking good! All these drives are new within the last year!)

Additionally the Toshiba I prepared to retrieve the data to, it won't let me access the whole 2TB. It shows 2.72TB in windows explorer BUT under disk management it has 746GB to the left and 2.72TB to the right. It won't let me access it.  So I'm down to my last 3TB drive a Seagate Barracuda that is positively prepared and waiting for data recovery {fingers crossed}.

I really would like to get my diskpatch to work on my desktop. Spinrite of Gibson Research doesn't boot either but Acronis boot disk and G-part do boot.

thanks for your help
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 11:19:23 AM »

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand it all but:

- To repair (partition tables, boot sectors) a 3TB disk DiskPatch will not be of help.

- Ideally, to recover data from a external harddisk, you take it out of it's enclosure and attach it to a PC through SATA directly. With many WDs that's not possible due to encryption/USB chip on the disk, so that's a bit of a dead end with regards to any DIY recovery software.

which I am running iRecover on now and 1/3 the way through it shows about 80% red meaning bad blocks

Bad idea of course to let it run as it may well be ruining it if this is caused by physical issues with the disk. And, if this is due to physical issues then a disk recovery lab should deal with it.

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://youtu.be/Ox2F8QRuU5Q
Carannas

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 04:23:40 AM »

>>>   Ideally, to recover data from a external harddisk, you take it out of it's enclosure and attach it to a PC through SATA directly. With many WDs that's not possible due to encryption/USB chip on the disk, so that's a bit of a dead end with regards to any DIY recovery software. <<<

None of the drives are in self contained cases i.e. WD Book, They are Sata drives I bought and also bought an external case for them. So they are hooked up directly to my system through sata.

>>> Bad idea of course to let it run as it may well be ruining it if this is caused by physical issues with the disk. And, if this is due to physical issues then a disk recovery lab should deal with it.<<<

Well I stopped it 28hrs later then at bout 85% completed and no change on red blocks. I kept it going cuz I saw on another post one of you said just let it go even though it slowed right down that at least it was still going. The WD slowed right down about 2/3 thru. Like I said the files on it are my DVD's and TV recordings. It would be cheaper to go buy a second DVD for backup OR go through the time again to backup  again.

>>>  To repair (partition tables, boot sectors) a 3TB disk DiskPatch will not be of help <<<

So I have 3 drives bot in the last year (1 toshiba mfg date Nov 2013 & June 2013-WD mfg May 2011 I rec'd Jan 2013 & started to use July 2013 all bot from Tigerdirect).  Two never used (likely the Toshibas) and one with my data (I'm inclined to think it's the WD) and disk patch can't be used on any of them and iRecover isn't helping either. I have to say I am stunned at this. It acts just like other issues I have had with other drives that messed up and gave me the message you must format to use and I would run disk patch on it and get the partition back and be good to go. I'm not sure I understand it all but why canít it recover my partitions with diskpatch?

>>> My quote >>>  I made a diskpatch bootable CD and it won't boot {in} my desktop computer. It's a gateway LX6810. The disk works in my HP laptop but unfortunately I can't attach my drvie that I need to fix to it. <<<

Can you at least explain to me what these drives have to do with diskpatch not booting in my system?

Thanks for your time so far. I will be gone for a few days so don't think I forgot about you.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length