Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2019, 07:09:16 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Windows 8.1, GPT and Diskpatch compatability
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 8.1, GPT and Diskpatch compatability  (Read 4596 times)
tip32a

« on: February 16, 2015, 10:55:10 PM »

Have a 750 GB hdd from a Toshiba laptop that has 8.1 factory installed on it.  Suddenly the machine is booting to the hdd failure is imminent message.  I can then boot to the desktop.
I attempted to clone this drive (with DP) to a new 1TB drive.  there were no errors after 20 hours of imaging.
I inserted the 1 tb drive into the Toshiba laptop and reset the bios settings to boot without secure boot etc.  The PC will not boot.  I then tied the win 8.1 CD in recovery mode and there was no GPT partition.  I took the drive to a Win 7 machine and there is no GPT partition. the larger empty partition claims to be RAW.
I used a data recovery tool to see if there were files and there were.  I could see the structure and the users, windows program files folders.

What went wrong?  Can you no longer clone a drive plug it in and have it bootable with Win 8 and GTP??
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 10:06:33 AM »

Hello,

All DiskPatch does is make a sector by sector copy of a disk. If the clone is different from the original, then there should be a reason for that. maybe the disk got worse while copying. can we see a support analysis logfile for both disks pls?

http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guide_supportanalysis.htm

Please note, that even if all sectors were copied an OS may refuse to boot after cloning (sector-by-sector). Disk imaging and cloning software meant to backup and upgrade disks (Ghost, True Image etc.) often do additional stuff, depending on the operating system on the disk, to make sure a disk is bootable after it was cloned. Maybe something as simple as a 'disk signature' not matching. Don't have Windows 8 here, can't try this myself. DiskPatch is purely meant to make exact disk copies. It does just that.

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://youtu.be/Ox2F8QRuU5Q
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length