Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2017, 10:06:44 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Data Recovery (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Seagate Expansion 2TB External HHD STVB2000100 Failure
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Seagate Expansion 2TB External HHD STVB2000100 Failure  (Read 5383 times)
tomincanada

« on: February 23, 2015, 05:41:38 PM »

Hi, my external hard drive failed to work. Windows Vista home premium did not recognize it. I removed the drive from the external case and plugged it to the computer internal SATA cable. It also failed to show up in Windows.  The diagnostic screen at booting up recognized the drive as ST2000DM001-1CH164.

I downloaded Diskpatch 4. Made a DVD using the boot.iso that came with Diskpatch. I set the BIOS to boot first using the DVD drive. Upon restarting, the computer tried but failed to boot with the DVD. After a few minutes, it automatically booted into Windows Vista, using main hard drive.

What went wrong? What is the next step? Thank you.
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 06:03:04 PM »

Could you try with a CD? Sometimes the disk detection can be off when burning the ISO, and as the original (in the ISO) is a CD you might have better luck when using a CD.
Also, creating a bootable USB key works very well, why not try that?

So the disk is seen by the PC hardware but not by Windows? How do you test this in Windows? Does the disk show up in Device Management and/or Disk Management?

tomincanada

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 07:57:32 PM »

Could you try with a CD?
: Yes, I could. I need to go buy a few blank CDs. I have many blank DVDs, that was why I burnt a DVD at first.

creating a bootable USB key works very well, why not try that?
: Because my HP Presario can not boot up using a USB key or drive. The BIOS did not have any option in the "boot" section to use USB key. Allowable boot devices are HDD, DVD, network card, and floppy drive (but the computer has no floppy drive installed, and I don't know where I can get a floppy drive for this computer)

How do you test this in Windows? Does the disk show up in Device Management and/or Disk Management?
Windows Vista does not recognize this device, so I can't test it. I was able to use disk management once, but I can't find it again! Where can I find it?

Tom
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 02:23:20 PM »

See if the disk shows up in the Device list; enter "devmgmt.msc" without the quotes on the Windows Run prompt. See if the disk is in the list.

To see if the disk comes up in Disk Management enter "diskmgmt.msc" without the quotes on the Windows Run prompt.

tomincanada

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 08:44:04 PM »

Tom, thank you for the commands.

The disk shows up in the Device list, using  "devmgmt.msc" without the quotes. The disk is in the list with the name "disk drive". The main hard disk drive is also in the list with the name "ST2000DL003-9VT166".

Using "diskmgmt.msc", the disk management program shows "connecting to virtual disks...", for a long time. Nothing comes out of it. After I removed the defective hdd, this command loaded up properly and showed "Disk 0", "Disk 1", etc.

I haven't got a chance to buy a CD to make a new bookable diskpatch
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 10:08:47 PM »

That sounds like the disk is having physical problems. If that assessment is correct you have 2 options:
- the data/disk isn't important, replace the disk and move on
- the data/disk is important, you should either clone the disk and attempt data extraction from the clone OR (if the disk is not about to die on you) use iRecover to see if data can be lifted from the disk (note that cloning is the safest bet, especially if the disk is in very bad shape).

The only way to verify the current state of the disk is to do this:
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guide_smartcheck.htm
Or to run iRecover and check the disk's SMART status through iRecover (right-click the disk in the disk selection window and select SMART info).

tomincanada

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 08:07:05 PM »

Hi, I ran "creating a support analysis log", using diskpatch 4. Left it for 4 hours. When I came back, there is a red box saying "maximum read errors (32) reached at 779001862, please select how to continue:
Reset read errors, continue operation
Disable read retries, continue operation
Disable.(can't recall the words), continue operation"
I chose the last selection. It returned with another red box "attention : MBR  error on disk 1 (129). I guess it is toasted forever.!
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 09:50:20 AM »

Thought as much, so what I said in my previous posting is the way to go. Though from the sound of it you may not be very successful, the disk seems to be in a bad state.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length