Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 06:26:24 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Data Recovery (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  SMS data recovery PC Broadband dongle
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMS data recovery PC Broadband dongle  (Read 4711 times)
nighthawk658

« on: June 11, 2015, 03:12:09 PM »

Hi everyone

new here so do excuse me if i posted my question in the wrong section

so i am looking for some tips and advice on how to recover deleted text messages from my USB broadband dongle

here is as much details i can provide

the device is an alcatel one touch

now i am aware that text messages could be stored in 1 of 3 places  1) the sim card  2) the PC software aka dashboard for the Dongle and 3) the dongles internal memory  ( note no SD card attached )

now i know the messages are not stored on the sim card as they do not appear if i insert the sim card in any other device so i assume it only leaves the remaining 2 options

so my question is  how can i find and recover the deleted text messages from either the Dongle or the dashboard

i have already looked within the dashboards folder and do see a file called sms.dat in the database folder

many thanks in advance to those who can provide me some clues...
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 12:20:40 PM »

Hello,

I am sorry, I never actually looked at the contents of a dongle, nor do I have a clue where the SMS messages were originally stored.

i have already looked within the dashboards folder and do see a file called sms.dat in the database folder

You may load that file in to a hex / binary file viewer, or even notepad to see if you have the actual sms texts in that file.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
nighthawk658

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 08:33:35 AM »

Hi Joep

thank you for your reply

i have checked that sms.dat file in notepad it didnt show very much and no texts at all

i am starting to think that any text messages that i get may be stored within the Dongles memory but sadly i am struggling to find anything in google that gives me any tips on how to access or even recover anything from its memory

the only memory that shows in my computer is the drive that contains the software for the dashboard and the modem drivers.

if there is a chance that texts are stored within the software do you think the chances of setting my windows back to an earlier date may bring back the texts (( i am doubtful ))

again thanks
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 11:37:23 AM »

Worth a try, depending on how desperate you are. Make sure you back things up first.

Another thing to try is searching through the contents of the (software) files. If you know a string of text that is unique for the text messages you can enter that as a search string. Windows file search allows you to search through files and their contents. This may only work though if the data is uncompressed/unencrypted.
Keep in mind that loads of software stores data in other places than its install folder, like APPDATA or LOCAL SETTINGS\APPDATA in the user folders.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length