Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 06:16:55 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Data Recovery (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  iomega ix4-200d recover deleted file
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: iomega ix4-200d recover deleted file  (Read 5699 times)
garyl

« on: August 27, 2015, 11:32:15 AM »

i have the ix4-200d with 4 drives (1TB each)
files were deleted and i want to do an undelete
i have read through the irecover process and i believe i understand the process
what is missing for me is i dont see how i will be able to see and recover the deleted files
i see the normal file structure recovery but how will the software identify the deleted files?
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 12:39:27 PM »

Did you use the option as displayed here:

Joep
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 12:55:41 PM »

But you haven't run the process yet? Because I would recommend against it. It is highly impractical and risky.

- You'd have to take the disks out of the NAS
- Attach them to a desktop
- Scan for hours and hours

What was the file system anyway, if it was XFS: It does not delete data like for example NTFS. In NTFS it's just a flag that says, this and that file was deleted, but as long as nothing is overwritten the files are recoverable. In XFS meta data is actually wiped. So, deleted file recovery on XFS is tricky, however not impossible. If iRecover finds the deleted files, then they should be in their original directory (ideally). If iRecover is unable to rebuild a directory structure they will end up in the FRAGMENTS directories.

Also: Make sure to try the 'data recovery for windows and linux' option first. You will need to first enable the md-raid option in advanced config in the disks and partitions TAB. See if the RAID is displayed in the disks and partitions windows. Select the largest md-raid volume.

iRecover does not display deleted files any different than 'current' files (not using different icons).

--
Kind regards,
Joep
garyl

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 03:32:24 PM »

The file systems is XFS.  If it doesnt find the files and it ends um in the fragment directory what is the process to recover them from there?
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »

This step by step explanation shows you how the process works. The last 2 steps explain copying files to safety, if possible.
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/forum/index.php/topic,368.0.html

garyl

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 09:01:54 PM »

i ran through the steps and at the end it gave a message saying no files found on the array.  I know the array is good  so i am surprised that it did not at least list the good files.  Am i missing something.
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 10:17:32 AM »

Hello,

'the steps' doesn't tell a lot. What did you do exactly.

And did you do this: Also: Make sure to try the 'data recovery for windows and linux' option first. You will need to first enable the md-raid option in advanced config in the disks and partitions TAB. See if the RAID is displayed in the disks and partitions windows. Select the largest md-raid volume.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
garyl

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 11:38:33 AM »

Yes I did  all the following : 'data recovery for windows and linux' option first.  enabled the md-raid option in advanced config in the disks and partitions TAB. See if the RAID is displayed in the disks and partitions windows. Select the largest md-raid volume.
There were two raids displayed i selected the larger one.

What i got back was a list of files that was incoherent.  it did not even detect the files on the array that i know are good.
garyl

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 12:02:48 PM »

i tried to upload a screen shot but the upload folder is full.
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 03:25:21 PM »

I have emptied the folder, can you try again?

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length