Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 06:24:36 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Data Recovery (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Click O'Death
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Click O'Death  (Read 2143 times)
Jim Tex

« on: November 12, 2015, 04:12:54 PM »

Hi, I copied a big file to the wrong drive, thus over filling it and now getting the "Click O'Death" clicking sound from my 1.5tb Seagate Barracuda.  I have an identical drive for parts so I tried to switch PCB board and freezing the drive.  No luck, just Click o"Death.  Will your product help?
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 10:20:52 PM »

In short, no. You'll need specialized hardware oriented help here.
FYI, 'overfilling' a disk is a non-issue and can not cause a click of death. It's most likely simply bad luck with the drive.

Jared

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 05:28:22 PM »

Just to give a more technical description of the Click O'Death:

When a hard drive is powered on it first needs to load it's firmware.  This is essentially it's own internal software that regulates all the functions of the drive.  Most drives (except Toshiba) store this on one or two platters in a hidden sector area called the service area.  The normal bit of grinding noise you hear when a drive is first powered on is it reading the service area.

If it is unable to read the service area, the drive will attempt to re-clalibrate ("click") the head stack assembly and try to read it again.  Some drives will attempt to do this continuously while others are set to give up after a certain number of tries like 5 or 12 tries and then spin down.

Only in very rare cases is this caused by a PCB issue and usually then only a matter of dirty contacts where the PCB connects to the HDA (can be cleaned with an eraser).  

Most often are two basic causes of the click of death:
1. Failed read/write heads (requires clean room to replace)
2. Media damage such as scratches on the platters (might be completely unrecoverable)

In either event there is nothing you can do with just a computer and software as the drive hasn't even loaded it's ATA overlay which is the language your computer speaks to it while trying to communicate.  Only specialized hardware like PC-3000 combined with making the necessary hardware repairs can get the data back.  So a good rule of thumb is that if it clicks, just immediately shut down and get it to a professional data recovery company.

Hope this helps to further answer your question.   Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length