Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 09:11:49 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Data Recovery (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Data recovery from SD card.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Data recovery from SD card.  (Read 10878 times)
Lozlo

« on: December 29, 2015, 04:04:10 PM »

Hi. I have a 32gb PNY SD card that has somehow become corrupted. I was transferring pictures and videos from it and it stopped after a couple of errors in copying files. I removed it and replaced it and got a message that it needs to be formatted before use. I have tried it in several computers and also in the video camera it was in and get the same message. Is there any hope in getting these files back. 
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 10:45:13 AM »

Have you already tried iRecover? There's always 'luck' involved.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Lozlo

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 03:46:17 PM »

I havent tried anything yet. I have put it in several computers, Win XP, Win 7, and Win 10 with different card readers and always get a message that card needs to be formatted before use. That is where I stop and ask people that know more than me. Do you think IRecover would be worth a try?
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 04:29:32 PM »

A try, always. Get the trial version and see what comes up.

Lozlo

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 04:44:37 PM »

Okay. Should I format it first or just scan it and see what it comes up with? I dont want to mess it up any worse than it is. Thanks for the reply.
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 09:10:11 PM »

No, don't format it!

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Lozlo

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 09:39:41 PM »

Okay,thanks. Ill give iRecover a try. Ill let you know how I do. Thanks again.
Lozlo

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 03:40:15 PM »

Okay. I tried iRecover. I tried image recovery and data recovery for windows and linux.
It scanned the whole drive and then got an error. Unable to continue.Unrecognized file format or something like that. So do you have any advice on what I should try next? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 09:13:44 PM »

Can you ZIP the log file and attach it to a posting? The log can be found in the program's install folder.

Lozlo

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 07:49:14 AM »

Okay, here you go. Thanks so much for your help. Happy New Year.
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 08:56:11 PM »

Well, that doesn't look good. Whatever was on that disk is now gone, iRecover finds no trace of just about anything. The image scan finds nothing and the 'normal' scan also finds no structures of use. Do you happen to know how the card was formatted, using what device? Usually cameras format a card as FAT32. Any idea?
If you know you could start a data recovery scan and force the filesystem type to the correct type (before you start the scan, in the options screen). If that doesn't lead to anything you can call it quits. Also, did you change any settings (in the options screen) from their default values?

Lozlo

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 09:46:57 PM »

Bummer. I believe I formatted the card in the camera when I first got it. No I didn't change any of the settings in the option screen, I left all defaults. Maybe I can find out what the camera formats to and try what you said. Thanks again.
Lozlo

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 05:40:11 PM »

I did 2 more scans. 1 forcing file system type to NTFS and 1 forcing to FAT. I don't think the results were any better but maybe you could take a look. Also any other advice you may have would be appreciated. Thanks.
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 10:30:55 AM »

No, nothing. Did you try FAT32? If that doesn't do it (and that seems likely) I have nothing further I can suggest, it really looks like this thing is completely blank.

Lozlo

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 03:57:47 PM »

I didnt see FAT32 as a choice, just FAT. Ill look again, maybe I missed it. Some of these recovery programs claim to be able to recover data even if the card has been formatted, is that possible? I dont get how the card could be blank. Thanks for all your help.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length