Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2017, 10:12:54 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Data Recovery (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Data recovery from SD card.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Data recovery from SD card.  (Read 10095 times)
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 07:51:56 PM »

A formatted disk isn't a problem for iRecover either so something else is going on here. You are right, you can't select FAT32, selecting FAT accounts for both FAT and FAT32. BTW. iRecover already selected FAT32 automatically during your first run.

As you were transferring pics *from* the card it's somewhat a mystery to me how the card became unformatted, as the computer was reading from the card.

What format were the pictures in, the ones you were transfering? Were you copying or cut and pasting?

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Lozlo

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 09:09:33 PM »

Actually they were mostly videos shot on the camera, probably .AVI. I created a new folder on the desktop and then right clicked and copied all the folders from the card, I think there were 4, and right clicked and pasted them into the new folder on the desktop. It started copying  and I walked away. It was going to take a while as there were 15GB of mostly videos. When I came back there was an error message about being unable to copy a file so I skipped it and then got the same error for the next file so I skipped all and then it was done. I checked the folder on the desktop and only part of one folder had copied, about 6 videos. I tried to access the card again and got the "needs to be formatted message".

The End.

I just dont understand how the data could just disappear. I suspect the data is there but the file structure got messed up somehow. Thanks so much for taking the time. I would gladly buy your product if we can make it work.
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 08:19:46 PM »

Hi,

Weird. So the source files gone, and no copies either. Can't tell. Maybe if I had the card here. What's the size of the card?

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Lozlo

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 09:37:43 PM »

It is a 32GB PNY  SDHC class 10 card about half full of videos and some stills all from the same camera. It also hasnt been written to alot. This was the first time taking the card out to save the videos. I feel like an idiot leaving them in the camera for so long, some were from christmas 2014. I really want to try to get them back. Thank you.
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 11:53:21 AM »

Hi,

Try some other product, you never know. iRecover sometimes works where others do not and vice versa. I'd try Reclaime or FileScavenger.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Lozlo

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 04:08:41 PM »

Okay I will give those a try. I really appreciate your taking the time to help.  Smiley
Lozlo

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 06:09:24 PM »

If I could just trouble you with one more probably silly question. Why should I not format it and try recovery software. It seems like formatting would restore the file structure and then the files should still be there as long as I don't write to the card. Like I said many of these programs claim to find files on cards that have been deleted and formatted. Just curious.
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 10:51:22 AM »

Formatting creates NEW EMPTY file system information. Yes, the files will still be there (even though it is possible that some data is destroyed, depending on the file system type and on how you format the device) but having no file system info for the files on the disk as opposed to some is still worse. To be fair, this also depends a bit on how the recovery tool you choose works.
At the end of the day, doing as little as possible to a device when facing a recovery situation is always the best choice. Also, formatting a perfectly healthy disk should allow you to recover the files, but we don't know what happened here and we don't know how healthy/trustworthy the disk is.

An afterthought: we don't even know if the disk/card is the actual cause. If you used adapters and/or (external) card readers, they may have something to do with this.

Lozlo

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 03:36:36 PM »

Okay, understood, that makes sense. As far as the card being the problem this is what I know. I was using an external card reader when the failure first occurred. Since then I have tried the card in 2 laptops with built in card readers, 1 desktop with built in card reader, 1 desktop with a different external card reader, and in the video camera it came out of. Has been tried with Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 10. Always says the same thing "card needs to be formatted before use".  I suspect maybe the external card reader caused the initial problem. Maybe it disconnected momentarily during a read or a write. I just have no way of knowing. I hate to keep bothering you guys with this but so far you are the only ones to give me any useful info.
Much appreciation,
Ron Clark
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length