Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 01:34:30 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  iRecover (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Data recovery from reformatted DLINK 340L NAS
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Data recovery from reformatted DLINK 340L NAS  (Read 3875 times)
whatwall

« on: February 09, 2016, 12:38:58 PM »

Hi, I am having trouble trying to recover files from a DLINK NAS 340L. I originally had 2 2TB drives formatted as a RAID 0 combination. I bought 2 new 3TB drives and added them. I then looked at the manual and got the mistaken impression that I could simply reformat to RAID 5 without losing data. javascript:replaceText(' Embarrassed', document.forms.postmodify.message);Stupid me did not back up first. I then decided to remove the extra drives and reformat back to the original configuration (my second mistake  Sad .

I attached the disks to my PC directly via SATA and tried the trial version of iRecover. It seemed as though it was going to work, so I purchased the full version. It does not seem to get the configuration right automatically, so I used a hex editor to look at the disk (readonly) and looked at the GUID partition table and located the correct partition. I then looked at the RAID superblock to identify the extent of the data and the relevant parameters. I inspected some of the data on the disk and ascertained that the parameters seemed to be correct. So I manually defined the raid 0 volume in iRecover. i.e. 218 sectors per slice, start LBA and number of LBAs per partition. iRecover then ran for about 12 hours, seeming to pick up most of the data from the disks. When it finished, it seemed to find at most 7 files in thousands of directories, but was unable to validate any of them.

The GPT was at sector 2 (1024 bytes in, then start of the partition is at LBA 3147776, the Raid 0 SB is at LBA 3904929880, with end of partition at 3904929880. There appears to be a RAID 5 superblock within this space: at LBA 3903850480. I have attached a file with these three blocks included. Can you help me to recover the data, or is there something else I do not understand about the recovery? The disk has no data errors, and the only writing done to the disks has been the formatting mentioned above.

Alan
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 03:22:02 PM »

It does not seem to get the configuration right automatically

You mean running in RAID recovery mode?

iRecover then ran for about 12 hours, seeming to pick up most of the data from the disks

What file system did it settle on? Can I  see the iRecover logfile?

218 sectors per slice

Weird value ...

--
Kind regards,
Joep
whatwall

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 10:26:16 PM »

It does not seem to get the configuration right automatically

You mean running in RAID recovery mode?

Yes

iRecover then ran for about 12 hours, seeming to pick up most of the data from the disks

What file system did it settle on? Can I  see the iRecover logfile?

Auto settled on RAID 5, I have attached the logfile.

218 sectors per slice

Weird value ...

Oops, finger trouble. Should have read 128 sectors per slice.
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 10:11:55 AM »

I then looked at the manual and got the mistaken impression that I could simply reformat to RAID 5 without losing data.

And this did actually run? How long did that take?

--
Kind regards,
Joep
whatwall

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 10:49:44 AM »

The reformat to RAID 5 did not take long, I cannot remember exactly, but somewhere 5 minutes and an hour, but all it did was format the four disks, it did not reorganise the data.
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 07:49:22 PM »

Hello,

I suggest you take the disks to a data recovery pro. If you send me your order details in a PM or an email (support@diydatarecovery.nl) then we can arrange a refund.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length