Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2017, 09:44:55 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  iRecover (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Recover deleted folder from Iomega StorCenter Pro 150d RAID 5
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recover deleted folder from Iomega StorCenter Pro 150d RAID 5  (Read 9394 times)
calcubilla

« on: March 03, 2016, 05:07:18 PM »

Hi, I'm new to data recovery. I've read that, under certain conditions and in order to recover deleted data from a RAID, one has to take the disks from the NAS and connect them to a recovery PC. In my case, I've only accidentally deleted a folder and the NAS works perfectly. Is there any way of producing a virtual image of the RAID without taking out the disks, take this image to a PC and recover?
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 09:26:26 AM »

Hello,

You mean without taking the NAS offline? That would need to be something that runs on the NAS OS (Probably Linux) and I have never heard of it. I don't know of any other way than to take the drives out of the NAS, attach them to a PC, and run the recovery from there.

A note about iRecover: iRecover always treats the disk or RAID set as if it were a disaster area and will start (virtually) rebuilding the RAID and file system from scratch. This is a lengthy process which could take days. And it then depends on many factors (file system to name one) if deleted files can be recovered.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
calcubilla

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 02:33:19 PM »

Many thanks for your answer Joep. It must be XFS. Since this device is not supported anymore it's difficult to find info about it but I found a forum where someone said it's XFS. Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Before posting I read many messages in this forum and I understood from some of them that when the RAID is intact and the NAS is reachable through a logical drive one can try to analyze it from a remote Windows PC where iRecover resides. But surely I misunderstood the messages. I've unsuccessfully tried to find them again.
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 05:48:13 PM »

Hello,

I think R-Studio may be able to do that? And they have a forum too, maybe you read it there?

--
Kind regards,
Joep
calcubilla

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 09:47:37 AM »

Hi Joep and thanks again for your answer. I know that I visited their site but I haven't read the forums. I'll have a deeper look at it
calcubilla

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:10:33 AM »

Hi,

I'm ready to give a try to iRecover. I've started the application and, as suggested, given that I'm dealing with a simple deletion, not a RAID problem, I've chosen the Data Recovey for Windows and Linux tab. The disks are listed (two internal PC disks Fujitsu, 4 additional disks (the RAID ones, JMicron Generic), the target disk for recovered files (Toshiba) and the card reader of a USB printer (Brother) but it seems that I can only select one of them, no RAID seems to have been identified. I'm using a USB 3.0 docking station for the four RAID disks. It may not be the best way but it's easier for me. I'm attaching a screen capture of the software window. How should I proceed?

Thanks, Cesar
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 12:16:07 PM »

Hello,

For iRecover to pick up mdadm RAIDs you need to enable that in advanced config > disks and partitions TAB > scan for md-raid volumes.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
calcubilla

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 12:44:06 PM »

Hi Joep,

Thanks for your answer. I've done it and the result is the same.

Cesar
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 03:45:36 PM »

so, there aren't any 'md raid disks' in the disk and partition list?

And with this:
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/downloads/iRecover.zip

--
Kind regards,
Joep
calcubilla

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 03:59:44 PM »

Now it seems that it detects the RAID disks. What should I do now? I'm attaching again the window with the first RAID disk selected.
calcubilla

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 04:02:02 PM »

Sorry, the disks wasn't selected on that screen. I'm attaching it again.
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 04:20:22 PM »

Hi,

I don't see a 'software RAID'. It means iRecover didn't find mdadm created RAIDS on the disks. If an mdadm RAID set is found, you should see for example

----- Software RAID ----
RAID5, 3 disks          500GB

on the bottom of the disks and partitions window. Right now it's detecting individual disks.

If that does not show up then there's no alternative for doing the 'RAID Recovery' option as far is iRecover is concerned.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
calcubilla

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 04:52:28 PM »

Hi Joep,

I understand from your message that there's nothing iRecover can do but just in case this gives you an idea or clue: before iRecover I tried Raise Data Recovery and it found the RAID, in fact it found two RAIDs, I don't have the knowledge to understand why. It recovered some files but I wanted to see if iRecover can recover more and buy it. I'm attaching two RDR screens at the same step in the process: one of them showing the physical drives and the other one the RAIDs found.

Cesar
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 07:04:17 PM »

Hello,

Yes, that's about how iRecover would do it. Below the physical disks and simple partitions it would display software RAIDs. But for some reason it does't find them it appears (don't see them in the screenshots). You could do a RAID Recovery with iRecover but it will take quite some time: it has to scan all disks and try to figure out RAID settings rather than just parsing them from the mdadm data base.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
calcubilla

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 12:24:56 PM »

Hi,

I've done the RAID Recovery. I'm attaching the filetree resulting from the process. I'm not sure of what happened with the validation because this is what it says:

Validated: 0 (0%) valid, 16 damaged of 11088 checked.

I've assumed that only 16 files are not valid and I've bought the software to recover the rest.

It's strange to me that it recognizes file types  that I think have to do with the operating system but not the jpg or avi files, which are the majority.

Cesar
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length