Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2017, 09:40:11 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  iRecover (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Went through entire process and all the recovered files are garbled.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Went through entire process and all the recovered files are garbled.  (Read 2799 times)
rustyh17

« on: July 07, 2016, 05:39:59 PM »

RAID5 configuration on Thecus N5500, 4 of 5 drives still good. Lost RAID and couldn't reboot. So,
purchased iRecover and went through the entire process (took 6+ days). At the end all the files
were garbled. iRecover figured out the raid block size, parity, etc. and seemed to be working very
well. All the filenames seemed to be intact. All the data within the files are invalid. Any suggestions?
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 11:28:02 PM »

Hello,

"through the entire process"

What process exactly? There are more ways to tackle a broken NAS RAID. More specifically, did you use RAID recovery, or data recovery for windows/linux mode?

Did you use the zipped non install or the setup version?

--
Kind regards,
Joep
rustyh17

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 03:01:16 PM »

I used RAID recovery. I had 4 of 5 good disks from the original RAID. It added a 5th virtual parity drive and then spent over the weekend determining the disk order, type (MS/LDM), block size (128 sectors), and parity start/rotation values (4/4) for the RAID. Then it began the process of recovering the files. After a lengthy run, it showed the names of 1.846 million files. I checked the root directory and began saving them to an 8TB HDD. It took another 25 hours or so and saved all the files to the HDD. All of the files are named correctly, but when I try to open them, the contents are all gibberish.  Everything appeared to happen successfully. The original file structure was on a linux opsys (Thecus N5500), and I was attempting to read the files from a Windows device. Is that possibly the problem?
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 07:51:24 PM »

Hello,

No, for example a Windows Access file is a Access file, if it is stored on a NAS or a Windows drive doesn't matter. Unless files were encrypted at the file level.

Was this the setup version of the zipped version? If NOT the zipped version I would try with that. Initially follow this procedure:
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/irecoverhelp/NAS_recovery.htm

--
Kind regards,
Joep
rustyh17

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 09:46:50 PM »

I used the setup file downloaded from the purchase link the 1st time. I have uninstalled that version and have downloaded and began utilizing the zip version. We'll see if this makes any difference. I have fingers crossed. I'll report back here. Thanks for your input!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length