Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 09:12:16 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Cloning details
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cloning details  (Read 1420 times)
Chuck6421

« on: August 25, 2016, 05:41:24 PM »

I have another thread running about my specific issues but it raised a question about how cloning works that I thought might be of more general interest:
I've started the process on my 1.5TB drive to a new 2TB. Per other advice I'd read here it did help tremendously to have the drives on separate controllers. I'd estimate it halved the read time. Unfortunately the bad drive can only be read in IDE mode and according to DP, time remaining is still ~9.5 days but there  are no blocks skipped yet after 14 hours of running.

Which leads to my question about interrupting the process (since this is tying up a PC while it runs). I did stop the initial run but recorded the LBA it stopped on and restarted it there once I switched the disks' controller assignments. And I may try to move this off to an old spare pc depending on my level of patience. Is this a safe thing to do and maintain the cloning?
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:54:05 PM »

I don't see why not. Just make sure that the section that has been done so far has cloned correctly, or at least as good as possible: when re-starting from a new location the pass-2 mechanic will not work for the bit that was done during another run. To clarify: the range you enter when starting a clone is the range that will be used for the whole procedure, so re-starting further down the disk (entering a new range of sectors) will exclude the disk areas that are not part of that new range.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length