Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2017, 09:45:11 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  iRecover (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Zyxel NAS w 4 x 6Tb WD Red - Not finding the MD RAID in iRecovery
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zyxel NAS w 4 x 6Tb WD Red - Not finding the MD RAID in iRecovery  (Read 4403 times)
aakerman

« on: January 09, 2017, 08:30:18 AM »

Hi,

Bought the iRecovery program - Great tool BTW!

Recover process:
1. From iRecover's main menu selected "advanced config", went to the "Disks and Partitions" tab, activated "scan for MD-RAID...", then clicked "Ok".
2. Running the "Data Recovery for Windows and Linux"
3. "Select Volume" - Under "Software Raid it showed a +16Tb volume - HOWEVER that was named "MS/LDM"  NOT MD Huh
4. After about 10hrs iRecover identifies the File System to NTFS (not EXT4, which it is)
5. 14hrs later I get a Directory tree that shows files/directories from my C:/ disk on the Windows host machine

What am I doing wrong and/or How do I (can I) set iRecover to manually identify the disk 2,3,4 from the NAS? Seems to be an option for that.

I am now trying to do steps 1 - 4 above with the difference that I in "Advanced Config" has "forced" the File System to be "Ext2,3,4)
(Now 10hrs into that process - Still Filesystem type "Not known..." and very few green dots - about 30)

I ONLY run all the iRecovery commands with disks 2,3,4. NOT disk 1 (see below).

System setup:

NAS - Zyxel NAS540
Raid5 - Ext4 - MD raid // 4 x 6Tb WD Red (approx 6-7Tb of data)
NAS was "degraded" due to a firmware upgrade and was not able to MOUNT Volume after upgrade, but running Linux commands showed that all seemed to be there. Zyxel support is trying to find a solution but have stalled.

N.B. The "disk1" in the array is not participating since I pulled it out while the NAS was running, so it left the array.
        I tried to "ADD" it in the NAS (Linux) and succeeded to start that process, but halted it since I was also waiting for Zyxel support info.

Windows PC - SATA x 3 (Holding disk2,3,4 from NAS). Win10 Pro. 32GbRam. No Antivirus started.

Copy to Disk space:
New NAS QNAP TS453A (2x6Tb WD Red) over LAN - Raid 0
WD Book 3Tb (USB3)

Grateful for any pointers or ideas.

//Aakerman
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 08:38:33 AM »

Hi,

Have you tried with this version: http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/downloads/Demo/iRecover.zip (is not the regular download but the one linked to from here http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/irecoverhelp/NAS_recovery.htm.

Can you see if that picks up the MD Raid?

--
Kind regards,
Joep
aakerman

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 09:28:04 AM »

Hi,

1. Unistalled previous version
2. Installed new version
3. Checked the "Advanced Config" settings - The MD selection was already ticket. Good. (Also noticed that there were fewer selections in Adv Conf)
4. "Select a partion..." now shows : "RAID5, 4disks, 1 missing  16755,3Gb"  and the right panel "Consisting of..." shows a correct setup of the missing disk and the 3 disks on SATA
5. The "Volume Map" now has all yellow dots. Not scanned yet...and scanning progresses. Perfect.

I will now let this run.

I have set READ/WRITE cache to 512/512Mb - Is that good (32Gb RAM) or should I set it differently? According to HELP file "bigger is better" or?
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 09:49:56 AM »

Hi,

Cache settings will not make much difference unless scanning a slow disk, and only when doing sequential reads. Write cache is only of influence when saving data.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
aakerman

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 10:11:20 AM »

Hi,

1. Process did "Quick Mode"
2. Reached 100% and then "Saving" popped up.
3. Then a popup: "Error - There was an error while autosaving the scan result. Unknown storage object type
4. Clicked OK - Error went away and "Saving" (grey popup still on screen) ontop of "Mark files to recover" - Preventing access to "Mark files to recover"

Seems program hangs.
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 11:24:59 AM »

Hello,

Ok. Then that's a bug, second time I see this.

for now I can not think of another solution than do it all again, but first: - advanced config > general tab > untick 'enable autosave' so that it is disabled.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
aakerman

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 05:37:40 PM »

Hi,

ran it again without Autosave.
After hanging on 100% Done for an hour, it finally went to "Mark files to recover" (Never asked me to save anything...)

The Volumemap showed only 25-30 Green dots "Filesystem structure"
No Blue "Data fragments" dot was visible. (So in essence only Green and Yellow upon 100% completion

I can now see... well... something: A FAT directory and an EXT directory with subdirs.

I can not make sense of this or even find my data files.

Did I miss something? Or will the files be visible if I save them?

Will now try and set ext2,3,4 hard in "Advanced Config" AND Discard "Quick mode" - and run again.
aakerman

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 05:46:19 PM »

Adding screen dump of "Mark files to recover"
aakerman

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 05:51:02 PM »

FYI

Trying to "Save State" in "Mark files to recover" - Shows a error popup with more info.
I post it here in case it makes your bug hunt easier.

"Unhandled exception has occured in a component in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.

Unknown storage object type."

Details:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NotImplementedException: Unknown storage object type
   at #=qVHZJlk5AmRHe8tvlsWxDRPtyMVfXNlqDIPYTlJrBgPyuZ4gDDGksww3UsX26uaFB.#=qDJwW3ExyC3cNzQywlSFvMQ==(#=qgd$y$ovch0$ySWp1eRK12g== #=qWQYpflAWrAPkRNpuYGZQLg==)
   at #=qfFFBBHEtCLaYCMBpFtnV_5Xf4kN9_wse7FDEEaLQzPEfcQuhkQKBWEbFczt9zEXV.#=qiYeqvueAFtL8$fLHpK09vw==.#=qQPDoSdm0hWx5fE0WK08jNw==()
   at #=qfFFBBHEtCLaYCMBpFtnV_5Xf4kN9_wse7FDEEaLQzPEfcQuhkQKBWEbFczt9zEXV.#=qRfVhqs0VUgp8Uvgey1BaFxYNXFvWk563L2p5xsu06UU=.#=qQPDoSdm0hWx5fE0WK08jNw==()
   at #=qVHZJlk5AmRHe8tvlsWxDRPtyMVfXNlqDIPYTlJrBgPyuZ4gDDGksww3UsX26uaFB.#=qDJwW3ExyC3cNzQywlSFvMQ==(#=qgd$y$ovch0$ySWp1eRK12g== #=qWQYpflAWrAPkRNpuYGZQLg==)
   at #=qfFFBBHEtCLaYCMBpFtnV_5Xf4kN9_wse7FDEEaLQzPEfcQuhkQKBWEbFczt9zEXV.#=qiYeqvueAFtL8$fLHpK09vw==.#=qQPDoSdm0hWx5fE0WK08jNw==()
   at #=qfFFBBHEtCLaYCMBpFtnV_5Xf4kN9_wse7FDEEaLQzPEfcQuhkQKBWEbFczt9zEXV.#=q$mWk19e6trIY3lMMs$zSaJy3un7z_h7JtbGgNO$p6RM=.#=qQPDoSdm0hWx5fE0WK08jNw==()
   at #=q6IfRAVvMgjHSQ55ZwOl_OoZtI7qTUpk$MNwqS1ZBWa0z5CdGIO7qYlU2wCNTaVZZ.#=q0Ew9ecFx4$7hlMc2UEGR1Q==(String #=qd9z1p5iOonKXPmLxUxNO2w==)
   at #=qjxf3fmwm$dNa3ss8CU94UVgS0yjEaEnmf_wI2YiKjHU=.#=qNVEmq215DcjnMAWGaW5fTLCB$wSomu7igyH4ubF$Sos=(Object #=qxJr4pfw$K6RLsxLMUyLuFg==, EventArgs #=qLc7IruCF5HXTNfvWIvXpKw==)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8745 (WinRel.050727-8700)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ZAR-X
    Assembly Version: 1.0.5678.19344
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/RobertO/Downloads/DIY%20DataRecovery/NewVersion/iRecover/iRecover.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8750 (QFE.050727-8700)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.8745 (WinRel.050727-8700)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

.................................................................................................
I click "Continue" but the program stalls/hangs

FYI
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 07:50:36 PM »

Hallo,

Kan in NL denk ik?

1. Naar EXT forceren heeft geen zin als iRecover zelf ook al EXT selecteert.

2. In disk/volume selection, wat toont iRecover onder 'Software RAID'?

3. Mbt vinden bestanden: Welke bestanden verwacht u/je?

Heb je geprobeerd mbv een filter bijvoorbeeld *.jpg bestanden te vinden: Als je zo'n filter gebruikt selecteert iRecover automatisch alle JPG bestanden en je kunt dan ook in de directory tree zien waar deze bestanden staan. Als je andere type bestanden zoekt vervang je jpg door betreffende bestands extensie.

4. Mbt de fout/crash: Is er vanaf het starten van de scan iets aan de disk configuratie veranderd? Bijvoorbeeld, is er gedurende de scan bijvoorbeeld een USB disk aangesloten?

--
Kind regards,
Joep
aakerman

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 07:55:48 PM »

Sorry, my Dutch is not that good. :-) Can you type this in English? I'm Swedish

I'll try and reply with the chance of misunderstanding:

1. Sure if iRecover selects Ext4 automatically that's great. However I can not see that the program confirms finding a Ext4 Filestructure after analysis is done. Just doing this to be sure since I previously (with the other version of iRecover got "NTFS" from the program).

2. Disk / volume selection, Software RAID, this is what it says and only this: ""RAID5, 4disks, 1 missing  16755,3Gb". See the attached image files. in the next reply under this one.

3. The files I expect to see are 6Tb of Adobe CC files from illustrator, AVI, JPG, PSD and thousands of DNG (photo) files.
     In the current listing I can only see that I got the system structure of the Linux system. Nothing else. I might be wrong but I visually inspected ALL directories.

Using a filter to find files: I did that and found none of the files described under #3 above

4. Concerning the error / crash: ALL drives in this scenario are connected with SATA internally.
aakerman

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 09:14:02 PM »

Images showing Partion selection as well as the File selection after the Quick Scan.

I am just now running a "non-Quick scan" and I must say that so far (after 5% completion), the Volume map looks completely different. The whole top row of dots are green. In the Quick scan there were green dots scattered in different places on the map.

5% is done after 3hrs, so this will take a while to complete.
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 01:00:32 PM »

I am sorry. Somehow, at some point I started assuming you were dutch ...

One question I'll repeat as it may help trouble shoot the error message/hang: In between starting the scan and the error, was storage added to or removed from the PC? So, did you for example add a USB drive during the scan, or remove one?

--
Kind regards,
Joep
aakerman

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 05:26:09 PM »

Hi,

it's cool. Dutch and Swedish do have some similarities. ;-)

Answer to your question: No. No USB, devices, storage or other removable items were added or subtracted. I try to use this "recovery machine" as little as possible since I want the recovery process to be smooth and uninterrupted.

Let me know if I can assist more in the trouble shooting.

Running the "full scan" (not Quick Scan), as stated above, but again... NO Blue "Data Fragments" dots are lit up. Just 30-40 Greens and the rest are white. (33% done). This was also the case with the Quick Scan and Auto detect of the Filesystem. This version of iRecover might have found the Array alright... but it doesn't seem to find my data files (images, docs and so on)

Joep
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 05:43:57 PM »

What happened to the array again? So, how was data lost?

Data fragments: There's only a number of more or less common file types that are used to make certain calculations and for the blue dots:

OLE Structured storage
Microsoft Word .doc
Microsoft Excel .xls
Microsoft Power Point .ppt
Windows Installer package .msi
.ace archive
.arj archive
.asf video
.dbf database format
.exe, .dll, .cpl Windows executable module (Win32/PE format)
.gif image
.gz gzip archive
.ico Windows icon file
.inf Windows INF file
.jpg, .jpeg JPEG image
.mid MIDI sound
.mp3 sound
.pdf Adobe Acrobat document
.png image
.qt QuickTime object
.rar archive
.rm Real Media
.rmid sound file
.tga image
.tiff image
.url Internet Explorer URL file
.wav sound file
.zip archive

Also, if I remember correctly, green dots win if both file system structures and data structures are detected in one area.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length