Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 01:33:17 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  iRecover (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Zyxel NAS w 4 x 6Tb WD Red - Not finding the MD RAID in iRecovery
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zyxel NAS w 4 x 6Tb WD Red - Not finding the MD RAID in iRecovery  (Read 5286 times)
aakerman

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 06:00:18 PM »

Well, in short:

NO data has been lost (I think). The NAS stopped working due to Zyxel Support sent me bad Firmware that first did not recognized the Raid5 Volume any longer but saw the disks and that they were part of an array, then they sent me a new firmware...that effectively bricked the device.  Embarrassed

I did however pulled out the Disk 1 from the 4-disk Raid5 array during this time (while waiting for Zyxel support) and could clearly see that it had left the the array. Via SSH and Linux MD ADD commands I started to rebuild Disk1 but had to interrupt that since Zyxel wanted to test more.

Disk2,3,4 are the only ones installed on the Windows recovery PC and iRecover (the present version) successfully sees the Raid5 (and that one disk is missing)

So the BIG question is maybe if I should run this "data recovery" OR "Raid 5" recovery??

Regarding Data fragments:
Ah, OK I see. I have numerous PDF, JPG, DOC, EXE, ZIP, PNG, TIFF on that drive. Probably around 400Gb - 1200Gb of those.
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 07:32:02 PM »

Hello,

You mean iRecover RAID analysis? There's no added value in that at this point. But analysis is still running, correct?

--
Kind regards,
Joep
aakerman

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 10:19:20 PM »

I have started a new Disk Recovery (Not Raid) - No Overrides, Automatic, Quick Mode and No Autosave.

I tried to save the output from the first run, but got an error doing that. (Didn't save that message or screen dump, sorry)

So running again like you first instructed, just hoping for it to find some Blue Data Fragments.

Will be ready tomorrow I assume.
aakerman

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 11:04:35 PM »

So I ended up at the "Mark files to recover" page again.

And the Map did ONLY show some "Filesystem Structure" green dots. Left everything else yellow. See attached image.

How can I make it read the actual data and not just show the "Linux installation" (bin, etc folders and so for the running apps on the NAS)?
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 08:08:57 AM »

Hello,

How can I make it read the actual data and not just show the "Linux installation"

You can't, this is what iRecover finds. Now is the time to see if something else detects more data. If that doesn't either maybe check one more.

Suggestions:
Reclaime.
Raise data recovery.

Like iRecover, both should be able to see the md raid, without the need for RAID scans.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
aakerman

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 08:46:50 AM »

Ok.

Now running Reclaime and it seems to find all my data! Scanning in progress.

Thank you for the tip and being open about this.

And for everybody else I just want to say:
JOEP provided me with support in a timely and professional manner and I genuinely believe that iRecover is a good and inexpensive software that you can use to try recover your files with.
It might not solve your specific issue since all situations are different and especially what kind of environment you are coming from. In that case you will receive tips and advice on how to proceed.

Cheers and thank you.
Robert O. Aakerman
Aakerman Media
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 11:18:34 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words. I am in this, because I want you to recover your data. We try to provide you with the best tools possible. If our tools cant help you, we will try to come up with suggestions. It may be that Reclaime offers better EXT4 support. Maybe for XFS it's the other way around. So, never give up when tool A does not recover your data. Tool B may. And next time it may be the other way around.

If we think it isn't wise to do DIY attempts at all, we will say so as well.

Please let me know if Reclaime helped you. And also, would be interested to see a screenshot of the directory structure Reclaime comes up with.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
aakerman

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »

Please find attached screenshot from Reclaime.

It builds continuously and those dir/files I see, I can also directly save while scan runs.

3% complete after 4hrs scanning and +3 million files on these 3x6Tb disks.

I will wait for this to complete and let you know how I progress.

Thanks for all the help!  Smiley
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 03:23:35 PM »

Hi,

Nothing was attached. if you want you can also email it to me (joep@diydatarecovery.nl).

--
Kind regards,
Joep
aakerman

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 04:34:30 PM »

Attachment... missed that.

Let me know if you need more.
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 02:51:35 PM »

Just curious: Did you get all data?

--
Kind regards,
Joep
aakerman

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 03:15:48 PM »

Hi, no problem.

Yes it seems I did.

3 079 530 files in total and so far 16.8% completed by the scan.

I have continuously saved the dir/files when they came on screen and that copying delays the scan of course.

But so far it is OK
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length