Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 09:00:09 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  MBR cannot be read
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MBR cannot be read  (Read 1966 times)
j700_be

« on: April 20, 2017, 12:02:10 AM »

Hello

As I'm starting Diskpatch, the to be repaired disk cannot be read. Well, the MBR to be exactly.
Therefor it's also not possible to make a reportlogfile of this disk.
I can now only provide the standard DP zip text file.
Messages that appear:
MBR read error on disk 1 (129)
Disk 1 (129) can not be accessed.
Also when trying to open the partition table message appears:
read error, operation halted.
--> this needs to be fixed first.
Before is a made a copy of the original disk, and on that one the only thing that maybe "wrongly" happended was fixmbr/fdisk mbr command. iRecover still shows filestructures on half the amount of the disk. Checking partions here gives 4 partitions, and in other softwares it shows that the partitions are overlapped. Original disk was 1TB, but partitions notify 2TB?? --> therefor the used cloned disk is 2TB to be sure. In short the tables have been overlapped/mixed, and with Diskpatch checked it says above.
So which is the next step to rearrange the partitions, without mixing things up?
Thanks & Regards
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:42:15 AM »

Hi,

As I'm starting Diskpatch, the to be repaired disk cannot be read. Well, the MBR to be exactly.

Well, not just the MBR, there are several sectors that can not be read. It looks like the entire disk can't be read.

Before is a made a copy of the original disk, .

I don't understand. What do you mean? Is this a copy of a disk?

Could you create a disk health report: http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guide_smartcheck.htm

--
Kind regards,
Joep
j700_be

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 07:37:09 PM »

1. Indeed the disk cannot be read as it doesn't write anything about this disk in the SMART log.
2. The disk is physically intact, and is a clonecopy of a disk that physically was malfuntioning. --> All softwares react slow on it.

The disk is attached by a SATA-controller. Driver preload in DOS issue here?
In attachment is the SMART report.
Disk 0 = standard disk with OS
Disk 1 = data to be recovered/reassembled from.

Regards
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 02:19:51 PM »

. The disk is physically intact, and is a clonecopy of a disk that physically was malfuntioning. --> All softwares react slow on it.

All software is slow on the copy or on the original 'bad' disk?

Anyway, there should be no need for drivers. However you can check the BIOS setup, and see if there are settings for disks like 'legacy' or 'compatibility' mode.

Other than that I can not make your disk readable or anything.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
j700_be

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 06:58:13 PM »

The software slow behaviour was on the bad/old disk. This story can be closed now.

Now I'm using a copy on a brand new disk.
The disk doesn't appear also in the list when startup of Diskpatch.
It looks to me I need to rewrite or recreate a new MBR, but I haven't done so without your advise.
In iRecover I can see filestructures that are using half the amount of the diskspace,
and the disk is readable on multiple systems.

Regards
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 10:21:38 AM »

Hello,

This story can be closed now.

I am sorry, I assumed you no longer need help on this, but Now I wonder if that's what you actually meant.

With or without a valid MBR, DiskPatch should should be able to show the disk if properly set up in the BIOS. Unlike Windows, DiskPatch 'asks' uses the system BIOS to discover hard disks. So it is possible that Windows and iRecover show you disks, that DiskPatch can not see.

The disk 'readable' means you can see the disk, or that you can access it (browse, copy files from it)??

--
Kind regards,
Joep
j700_be

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 06:57:23 PM »

Hello
"the closed story = working on the old/bad/unaccessable harddisk"

I continue my questions relating only to the cloned brand new disk.
--> I have to find a way to have the disk to be selected in Diskpatch.

Readable means in this case. I can see the disk in iRecover.
The disk cannot be browsed or copy files from it in Windows Explorer. (otherwise I don't need a recover)
I can see the disk in the BIOS.
The disk can also be read/seen in Diskpatch, and is listed below on the screen.
But as soon as I try to select it, it gives the MBR error pop-up.

note: at startup and when disks will be checked of Diskpatch, the cloned/to be recovered disk cannot be seen.
Normally you would see the line of health and temperature, but this is not the case.

Regards
j700_be

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 08:11:32 PM »

Adding some more info:
The behaviour/message that appears in Diskpatch comes up for every action as soon as the disk starts to initialise for action. It starts reading the first sectors but then is missing something.
Before as you mentioned you said some sectors cannot be read. In my opinion this needs to be fixed first before other use of tools can be made possible. But this is tricky, re/overwriting this part.
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 01:34:33 PM »

The SMART report shows one disk of about 80Gb, you speak of 1 and 2 Tb disks. Not sure what is going on there.

If iRecover has normal access to the disk and shows no read problems when scanning, it is (as stated earlier) possible that DiskPatch can't access the cloned disk, for whatever reason (probably a compatibility issue). If that is the case, use iRecover to copy as much data as possible to safety. Or try the clone again on a disk that works well with DiskPatch.

Please note that cloning a bad disk is bound to create problems as sections of the original can't be copied, depending on the state of the original disk. What I mean to say is that you are likely to need iRecover anyway, because normal Windows access to such a cloned disk is not likely to happen.

j700_be

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 05:31:33 PM »

Hello
To set some things clear:
1. The 80 GB disk is the OS disk in the system. (IDE) Just to be sure and check the software works.
    --> not to be discussed in this topic
2. The 1TB disk is the Original/bad/to be recovered disk. (SATA)
    --> not te be discussed in this topic. The data is cloned to aonother disk
3. The 2TB disk is the cloned disk with the data on it, but with a malfunctioning/corrupt MBR I think. (SATA)
   --> this is the one I'm talking about.
4. I checked Diskpatch with another blank brand new disk, exactly the same type as in number 3, and (SATA)
    this gives also the same message that the MBR cannot be read.
    --> not to be discussed in this topic.
5. Another disk of 4TB I see starts complaining that it is too big during startup of diskpatch. (SATA)
   This one gives also the message that the MBR cannot be read.
   --> not to be discussed in this topic.

Reading your comments about BIOS.
Only IDE disks can be seen in the BIOS.
The SATA disks can only be seen in the seperate controller menu.

Can it be concluded that only IDE disks can be handled by Diskpatch?

About iRecover.
I agree I will need to go use this tool somewhere in the future. But at the moment the to be recoverd disk has overlapped partitions. After a scan with iRecover this can be seen, but from this point I cannot do a acceptable recover. Therefor I first need to have the partitiontable reassembled before continuing.
That's why I'm gearing towards a Diskpatch solution.

Regards

Joep
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 09:30:19 PM »

Hi,

Reading your comments about BIOS.
Only IDE disks can be seen in the BIOS.
The SATA disks can only be seen in the seperate controller menu.

Can it be concluded that only IDE disks can be handled by Diskpatch?

Nope, I have used it with plenty SATA disks and others as well. As I mentioned, you may have to examine the BIOS setup for legacy or compatibility mode settings. Also, DiskPatch only looks for the first 4 disks in the system.

- Or try the disk in a different PC
- Try the disk in a USB enclosure.

What partitions do you expect on the disk?
Overlapped? How did this happen?

--
Kind regards,
Joep
j700_be

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 02:12:18 PM »

To be sure I'm into a "legacy" BIOS environment I've attached all to an older motherboard.
Soyo 5EMA+ 1.1 2A5LES2BC-00,
and I've flashed to the latest BIOS rom to be sure everything in here is OK.
There is no legacy setting in this Award BIOS or SATA controller.
No UEFI option is set in this system.
As the disk is listed below in Diskpatch I'm wondering has it something to do with that
the disk is maybe in GPT mode at the first sectors?
--> Need to convert to MBR or something?

Regards
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 07:37:29 PM »

As the disk is listed below in Diskpatch I'm wondering has it something to do with that
the disk is maybe in GPT mode at the first sectors?
No, DiskPatch accesses disks on a hardware level, volumes etc. do not play a part in (not) seeing a disk.
--> Need to convert to MBR or something?
No.

j700_be

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 10:16:11 AM »

Thanks for your comments. Because I was thinking it must be hardware/BIOS related as there is no other option left, I tried the disk on another system with a newer BIOS and now the disk is accessible.
I think Diskpatch won't work in this case as there are limitations to the BIOS. (disksize, interface, addressing....)
So this topic may be closed.
I will open a new topic where my story continues including support files.

Regards
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length