Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 06:21:53 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  General Data Recovery (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  HDD clone gets slow after 500MB
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HDD clone gets slow after 500MB  (Read 785 times)
j700_be

« on: May 20, 2017, 08:02:23 PM »

Hello

I've made some posts before. When cloning or scanning with any tool, the disk gets slow after having read around 500MB.
It is not possible to make an image with iRecover.
S.M.A.R.T option is not lightened also.
Included is a report of HDD Sentinel and error message. It's the Maxtor disk 1TB.
--> other decent cloning solution needed or disksurface repair or something.
Other ideas also welcome of course.  Smiley
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 03:18:27 PM »

Hi,

It is not possible to make an image with iRecover.

And during that the disk was connected through SATA or USB? Because with a disk this bad USB is not an option. If it was USB, connecting the disk to SATA is worth the try. Use these settings:

"Timeout" - set to 200 ms unless doing RAID recovery.
"Retry attempts" - set to 1 unless the analysis is unacceptably slow. To increase speed, set to 0.
"Avoid repeated retries" - enable.
"Skip factor" - set to 32, unless the analysis is unacceptably slow. To increase speed, gradually increase "Skip factor" until satisfactory speed is achieved. (So 32, 64, 128 etc.).

HD Sentinel show high RAW values for reallocated sectors and there are also sectors still pending (waiting to be reallocated).

Where we're struggling with hangs, professional data recovery (hardware) cloners will probably have no problems imaging this hard disk.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 03:19:39 PM »

Another idea: Clone first 500 MB, analyse that and see what we get.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
j700_be

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 11:28:42 PM »

Hello

Just found out DDRescue on Linux, and start making a clone.
I've noticed another (better) behaviour of the disc, but still at the end finds 428GB of unreadable data it says, and it start datascraping.
This even resulting in better clone quality, and also better recovery.
If I let iRecover scan it, more data blocks are found and less directory blocks.
 Now it's even possible to see directory structures and correct named files in iRecover. Still not everything is there, but it's an advancement over to previous attempts.
We can conclude that there is a difference in diskcloning. Thanks to your feedbacks an inspiration.
During my wobbly adventures of disks and hardwareswapping I also upgraded the BIOS of my SATA controller, and now gives even a cloning option from within the controllor menu. (this options is not yet tried out)
In attachement I'll give a scrrenshot of iRecover with a newly cloned disk, were dataparts are far more available then before. **Note the target disk was not fully clean so just did a write over. It could be that there are more files visible that may not be taken in account now.**
However, the fact that there is an improved result is wat matters.
The malfunctioning disk is also wrenched a bit, and becomes hot after some time.
It looks like there is an internal physical read obstruction.
Or I need to go checkout some 1-to-1 hardwarecloner with controloptions?

I'll try to make an iRecover image as described before. Just this info in between.
Regards

Joep
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 08:00:53 PM »

Hi,

Or I need to go checkout some 1-to-1 hardwarecloner with controloptions?

That's not the type of hardware I was referring to. Serious data recovery labs will have tools like this:
http://www.deepspar.com/products-ds-disk-imager.html

**Note the target disk was not fully clean so just did a write over.

Yeah, but as long as ddrescue does each sector that shouldn't be much of an issue. With regards to ddrecue <> DiskPatch, ddrescue bypasses the BIOS. So in this case the system BIOS may have had trouble with handling errors. Ideally a BIOS doesn't interfere at all and just passes information.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
j700_be

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 06:48:19 PM »

Thanks for all your comments, also concerning the labprincipals.
I've also tried to do a clone by the SATA controller, but this gives also addressing errors.
I'm going to wrap things up and close this case with the home-efforts.
I'm gonna look for an outsource pro-clone solution.
Again, thanks for everything, and keep up the good work!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length