Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 08:57:19 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  iRecover (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Recovery of Iomega Storcenter px4-300d 4 x 1TB after "overwrite confirmation"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recovery of Iomega Storcenter px4-300d 4 x 1TB after "overwrite confirmation"  (Read 1374 times)
Wolfgang

« on: July 02, 2017, 12:22:21 PM »

Basic Information

• NAS used: Iomega Storcenter px4-300d
  • 4 x 1 TB Disks (Seagate SATA 3,5"), maybe 75% full with data (before)

Error description NAS

• NAS was not accessible for some days, so I turned it off (maybe the fault of my life)
  • On the next start, it asked to have the data for each disk overwritten, I think the message was "Drive 1 requires overwrite confirmation", then the same for Drive 2, 3 and 4.
  • I confirmed these messages with "Yes", hoping that with this the data of the RAID will be rebuild (I was stupidly overestimating RAID....). This "overwriting" only took seconds, then the display of the NAS told me: Free: 0 B, Used: 0 B (0%).

Current situation

Now in panic, I stopped fumbling. In the browser interface of the storcenter it says "no "Speicherpools" (memory pools?) are defined. But the 4 disks are shown properly, also the "freigaben" (kind of volumes I created) are still visible. But the are shown as empty now.

As a possible cause of the fault, the log of the NAS says "ein Laufwerk wurde aus dem System entfernt" (a drive was removed from the system).
Then, one minute later it says "externer Speicher angeschlossen" (external storage connected). I did not connect anything.

Recovery process

Since I cannot connect 4 SATA to my PC, I created images of each disk with iRecover using an USB-SATA dock. The Images are mounted in Windows 8 as drives with ImDisk Virtual Disk.

After the start of iRecover, I first activated the option "Scan for md-raid volumes" in the advanced configuration of iRecover.

As statet on http://www.disktuna.com/using-irecover-for-nas-data-recovery/ the option "Data recovery for Windows and Linux" will be used instead of "RAID Recovery":

From here I'm afraid it goes wrong. Despite shown on the picture in the manual above, no RAID configuration is picked up. Only a single disk will be analyzed now. Well, the analyzis looks quite good (there is data, there is filesystem structures, no bad sectors), but I'm afraid it will not make sense without all four disks being considered and combined as RAID.

My question: should I use the other option "RAID recovery" instead of "Data recovery for Windows and Linux"? Or am I missing something else?

Thanks a lot for your input,

Wolfgang

Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 08:56:22 PM »

Hello Wolfgang,

If iRecover does not pick up the Linux RAID configuration it is because this is too damaged. Then the next option would be to run RAID recovery instead.

Joep

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Wolfgang

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 09:57:49 PM »

Hi Joep

Thanks for your answer. I did start the RAID recovery shortly after my posting above. Now it's running since 10 hours, but still is only on 3%. Based on this it could take 16 days for the recovery.

Since I must travel with this notebook I'm using right now by the middle of next week, I will cancel the recovery now and start it again somewhen next week on a different computer that I will organize.

I'll post the progress here, thanks again for your help!
Wolfgang

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 10:17:49 AM »

The log looks very promising. There are already a lot of file names I can identify, cool!

I just wonder, the CPU shows mostly 0% or 1%, also the transfer rate is very low (around 2.7 MB/sec).
Is there a way to speed it up? It will take several weeks like this....

Thanks!
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 04:46:57 PM »

Hi,

You were recovering from disk images?

In general:

- All disk images on one disk is slower than spreading them over a few disks
- If you are recovering from USB disks, increasing the read cache may help (in iRecover). However: Every byte to assign to the disk cache is taken from memory available to iRecover and other running software. On a 32 bit OS this can become an issue when we're dealing with millions of files & folders. On 64 bit Windows it's less of an issue when using the 64 bit version of iRecover.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Wolfgang

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 09:40:57 AM »

Dear Joep

The recovery process is running in RAID recovery mode from the 4 images now since a week.

While in the beginning it was very, very promising (the log did show all actions properly and even the filenames did appear), since some days I have the feeling that the program does not work (properly) anymore.

The CPU shows more than 100% and the log file only has lines telling "Bad sector encountered @LBA 602995294 disk 0609". But the physical disks and the images did not have bad sectors.
Also the graph/visualization is strange now, because only for the 4th disk there is a color shown:

So I have to abort this, right? Can you please give me any advice how to proceed now?
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 05:13:40 PM »

Hello,

If they're real bad sectors we should stop ASAP. And whether they're real bad sectors or not, continuing probably doesn't make a lot of sense.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Wolfgang

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 05:31:34 PM »

well, the disks did not have bad sectors nor the images (based on the analysis of iRecovery).
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 05:45:11 PM »

Hello,

BAD sector can be anything basically, specially when reading from USB. The only thing we know from it is that iRecover requested a sector and didn't get it. Instead it got an error.

The high CPU is a multi-core thing: If 4 CPU's are all 35% active, iRecover will report 4 times that.

I also sent you a personal forum message.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 10:18:08 AM »

I now see the disk cache is set to full. Increasing it can indeed speed up USB access but at this stage it's more seeks than sequential reads. It may be counter productive at this point.

--
Kind regards,
Joep
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length