Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2019, 07:05:28 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Wondering if this can be repaired.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wondering if this can be repaired.  (Read 8026 times)
patience

« on: May 11, 2008, 04:50:19 PM »

Hello and thank you for your time.

Here is the info:
HDD: WD raptor 37gb x2 SATA
Issue: Mirror was created using the OS. 
Original disk was a Basic Disk that was converted to Dynamic and then 1 drive was used for mirror.

1 Drive failed.  Mirror was broken from inside the OS. 

I believe the LDM is corrupt now.  The OS will no longer boot.  Recovery console does not see the operating system. 

I am wondering if this scenario is repairable using this tool.  If so what results can I expect.  Or should I just start rebuilding the system from scratch.

Thank you for your time.

Andre
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 09:50:53 PM »

Hi,

I don't get it. A software mirror that's broken, that should leave at least one good disk. There's probably more going on here. Please read the "READ THIS FIRST" posting (the name says it all) and see if you can get us a support analysis log file. Any further info on what went wrong would also be quite welcome. I can't make any predictions on the outcome, at this point i can't even tell what's wrong. Please post that log.

Edit: if the LDM is the cause (and nothing else is wrong) it should actually be possible to make the data accessible again, but no guarantees here.

patience

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 05:15:46 AM »

I would of completely agreed with you until I read this from MS:
"The mirrored drive
Never break a healthy system disk or boot dynamic mirrored volume and expect the mirrored drive to replace the original primary drive if it fails. The manually broken mirrored drive is assigned the next available drive letter, and this is updated to the permanent record in the LDM database. This means that regardless of what position that drive takes in the boot process, it is assigned the new (and incorrect) drive letter, so the operating system cannot function correctly."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816307

Now granted the mirror was not healthy.  It was reading failed mirror and 1 of the drives had the triangle of doom next to it in the disk management snap in. 

But the drive seems that it hasnt been assigned a drive letter and im hopeing its something that silly.

Also I dont have comeplete access to the machine since im in another state.  Im attempting to troubleshoot through another "tech".  This seems like the issue though.  I will end up giving him the go for this but I was hopeing that I wasnt the first to bring this problem to you.

Thank you for your time.

Andre
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 01:01:52 PM »

You're not handling this all that well. When i explain something (as i did) it would be best to assume that i'm correct in this and not take any actions based on other readings that don't take into account the things that i take into account.
My original comment stands, trust me, and sofar i have reason to believe that we can fix this. Now if you wish to go ahead and "give your guy the go ahead" then by all means do so, but i don't think you're going the correct route here. It is however completely your choice, just let me know what you intend to do so we can either close this case, or see if we can work towards fixing it. If you require further assistance from us please post that support analysis log, we really (really) need that to make the correct diagnosis.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length