Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2018, 04:31:23 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  iRecover (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  more RAID 0
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: more RAID 0  (Read 18906 times)
jjel

« on: May 22, 2008, 11:11:24 PM »

I have a similar situation to that of gemdy. The motherboard in the PC with my Raid 0 drives has failed but the hard disks themselves are fine. Can you let me know if this approach will work with iRecover?

I am going to install the two Raid 0 drives into an external SATA enclosure and attach that to my network router. I have a NAS back up drive on the network. I want to download iRecover onto one of the client workstations, access the hard drive enclosure over the network and recover the files to the back up drive. Any advice will be much appreciated.
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 08:12:34 AM »

Hello,

iRecover must be able to access the drives that will be recovered from locally. I am not really sure I understand you correctly but it seems you want to access them over a network.

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIUq03Deyy0
jjel

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 02:53:41 PM »

Thank you for responding. Yes my original intention was to access them over a network. However I am able to attach the external drive enclosure to a PC with USB. Then the Raid 0 drives will be seen as (two) local drives. can the recovered data then be sent to a network drive? I guess i don't understand exactly how iRecover works - do you need to assign source and destination drives? Is the original data changed in the recovery process or is the original data left intact and just extracted,recombined and created in a new file or drive?

Tom
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 03:47:55 PM »

iRecover needs direct access to the disks. That means network access won't do: you'll need a direct interface like USB or IDE or SCSI etc. Network access doesn't allow low level disk access, and that is what iRecover needs.

It should go something like this: connect the disks as individual disks. Then tell iRecover they were a raid. iRecover will then analyze the disks and determine the raid parameters. The disks will then by treated by iRecover as a raid and files will be copied from the disks to another location. You will need a target location for the files that will be copied. So, in a sense, the raid disks are the source and a disk that will receive the files is the target. Keep in mind that nothing is rebuilt or repaired; data is copied to safety and the original disks stay as they are. It is not likely that they will ever be able to function as the raid they were so when the data is safe you can re-init the raid and use it again (re-install). Make sure to implement a backup regime this time...

jjel

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 05:17:44 PM »

OK  -that is what I will attempt. And yes -  I am implementing a new back up plan. Also will stick with Raid 1. Thanks for your help. I will post after I have had a chance to work on the solution.
jjel

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 01:53:28 AM »

Well I finally got my thermatake drive readers and have downloaded a trial of i Recover. It recognized about 90% of my files but offers no way to save or export them in their native format. they are saved in a .ZAR format. The help file refers to a "proceed" button but I do not have that option. Is that only available in the full version?
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 09:06:18 AM »

Hello,

To save files, tag the files/folders you want to recover, then click the NEXT button.

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIUq03Deyy0
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 09:15:23 AM »

The .ZAR file you mention is the analysis state file; this file can be saved to avoid having to scan the disk again, and has nothing to do with the actual files that need to be recovered.
The trial version can only recover 1 folder per run, and you are not allowed to use the state file. Make sure you recover at least a few files so you can determine that the recovery has a chance of succeeding, before purchasing the program.

jjel

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 02:08:37 PM »

Well I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but although I can see my files and can preview them all I seem to be able to do is generate a .txt file with a list of the files I am trying to save. I am also unsure of how to use the .ZAR file to avoid having to rescan the disks everytime I attempt recovery. Thanks for the help -  the product seems to work very well - I must be missing something.
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 03:38:22 PM »

Hello:

Click next to start saving selected files. NOTE that after the copy has finished iRecover will finish/close. So, make sure you have selected all files/folders you want back.

--
Kind regards,
jjel

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 04:28:22 PM »

Yes this is exactly what I have been doing. Then the program begins to assemble the files. But when that process is complete the only file generated is a .txt file with a list of the folder contenets.
jjel

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »

I would also like to know how to use the >ZAR file to avoid having to rescan the disks - if that is possible. I appreciate the help -

jjel
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »

Hello,

So, you do select files, the number for 'currently selected' do they change, xxMb in xxxx Files?
Do you select the option to open the recovery directory on the 'finished' screen? Just to make sure you're looking in the right spot?

The ZAR file (the save file) you can load at the opening screen, select 'open save file'.

Before you run iRecover again: clould you please email me the last few hundred (or so) lines of the logfile (can be found in folder where iRecover is installed/running from)?

EDIT: If you could sent me an email (joep@diydatarecovery.nl) I'd like to sent you our latest beta build as well. Just to make sure we aren't dealing with a rare issue that's already fixed.

--
Kind regards,
jjel

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 01:45:38 AM »

joep  - did you recieve the email with the requested log? If not let me know and I will resend. BTW - The ability to open the .ZAR file is not available in the trial version of the software

Jon
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 10:55:20 AM »

Hello,

Your email box will not accept the new iRecover build I am trying to sent (too large).

--
Kind regards,
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length