Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2019, 07:34:16 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  DiskPatch always skipping sectors...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DiskPatch always skipping sectors...  (Read 6541 times)
appleoddity

« on: May 24, 2008, 12:09:14 AM »

I have run this new version a couple times now, on different PCs and different drives.  (v.3.3.100 and now v3.4.100)

I notice that DiskPatch will skip one block (8 sectors per my settings) every 1024 it reads.  Not sure why this is.

Also, I don't seem to be able to see any more messages in this forum other than the first page.. Whats up with that??
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 08:13:52 PM »

I notice that DiskPatch will skip one block (8 sectors per my settings) every 1024 it reads.  Not sure why this is.
I'm not sure either, but that's mainly because i have no idea what you're talking about. Please be a little more descriptive.
Also, I don't seem to be able to see any more messages in this forum other than the first page.. Whats up with that??
The forum you're currently looking at is our new forum and has only been running for a few weeks now, so not many messages in here yet. Again, the lack of detail in your description makes it difficult for me to understand what the problem is. Screenshots might help.
I should point out though that we can see everything fine and we've not seen complaints like this before.

appleoddity

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:16:55 PM »

Ok.. What I had noticed.. The first time I used the new 3.0 versions, when I would load the software and start a clone process, I could watch it going through the sectors cloning them.  It seems to update the display about every 1024 sectors - in other words, the numbers increment by about 1024 sectors each time.. At the same time, the skipped blocks increments by 1 each time, which equates to 8 sectors per my settings.

I restarted the software without DMA and it appeared to prevent that problem, but then it took a week to do the clone.

This second time I have used the new version (I don't have to use it often, but I really appreciate it when I do), it appeared to be doing the same thing.  However, I went ahead and let it finish this time, because I read that the second pass would actually try to copy those skipped blocks during the first pass.  What I found was that after it got quite a ways into the copy it begin running through 100,000s of sectors without any problems.  So, apparently it is just caused by the significance of damage to the drive and not actually a technical problem with the software.  I ended up cloning 200 million sectors with only about 2350 skipped. 

So, I retract my original question and instead congratulate you guys on an excellent piece of software, and a much welcome update with this 3.0 version.  I also applaud the fact that you have allowed us to upgrade to 3.0 for free.  Thank you.

On a side note, I found that creating the boot disk with the creation tool included in the package seems to be very problematic.  More than once I have not been able to start it properly with this disk.  I could not get it to start at all this time around when I tried to use it.  SO, I read that I could create a real MS-DOS boot disk and just copy the files to the disk.  So, I did this, and everything worked great.  Prior to making the MS-DOS disk, and using the FreeDos disk, it would lock up every single time right after initializing the drives.
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 09:05:05 AM »

Ok.. What I had noticed.. The first time I used the new 3.0 versions, when I would load the software and start a clone process, I could watch it going through the sectors cloning them.  It seems to update the display about every 1024 sectors - in other words, the numbers increment by about 1024 sectors each time.. At the same time, the skipped blocks increments by 1 each time, which equates to 8 sectors per my settings.
If skipped blocks is updated then a block the size of xxx sectors (as indicated in the options display) is skipped. The counter displays these as blocks. And yes, the screen is updated every xxx sectors but that itself is in no way connected to the skip information. Maybe you drew conclusions from seeing these numbers that were not the right ones (no offense) ? I'm still not entirely clear on what it is you saw, but i AM sure the software works perfectly, so the result should be okay. And so it was, i believe.

About the diskette; that's unfortunate. It's usually the other way around: when a disk is in trouble it's the original MSDOS that hangs up the PC and Freedos will usually continue booting. I'm sorry to see that things didn't work in your situation, but that is rather rare. That doesn't help you, but you've managed to overcome the problem, so well done. I hope the clone worked out fine and we would very much like to hear how things turned out.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length