Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2018, 04:31:15 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  iRecover (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Recover Data from RAID-5 Partition Drive
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recover Data from RAID-5 Partition Drive  (Read 6404 times)
lpsbossard

« on: June 05, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »

Hi, We have HP Server with 5 X 72.8 GB SCSI HDD. these are configured under RAID-5. We have C:, D: E: and F: Partitions where c: is the system Partition. This server is running Windows Server 2000 SP4.
Yesterday we have a problem with the HDD and Server Goes down. It shows fault indication in 2 of the Hard Drives. we lodged a complaint with HP and got the replacement next day. Diagnostics shwos the RAID was disable. We have changed one of the the Faulty HDD with the new one. and tries to make the server up. It went up and all the data shows intact. But after half an hour the server again goes down. Again Diagnostics shows RAID was disable. Another HDD was replaced and tries to make the server up. This time server runs into chkdsk utility for one drive (F:) itself. after the system was up, F: Partition does not show anything. It seems that it is a raw partition. While clicking on F: it asks for "Do you want to Format it Y/N". It does not show even the type of partition FAT32/NTFS. in our Case it was NTFS. F Drive contains complete data of ours, it is of 134 GB.

Now while searching we tried your iRecover Tool and Bought it online. We run this on the drive. It recovers the partition type and the files and directories. but it didn't recover in the way files and folders were present originally. It holds all the doc, xls, pdf, etc in separate folder and the folder names are also system generated. worse is that 99% of the recovered files are not able to get open.

Please help immediately.
We are suffering a lot.
Thanks
Anup
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 02:11:43 PM »

Hello,

It went up and all the data shows intact. But after half an hour the server again goes down.

Was that after the RAID was rebuilt or was it maybe still degraded? IOW, did you hook up the new disk and immediately started using the machine again? If the latter then I doubt the RAID was fully rebuilt already.

Now while searching we tried your iRecover Tool and Bought it online. We run this on the drive. It recovers the partition type and the files and directories. but it didn't recover in the way files and folders were present originally.

Just for my understanding: You did not do a RAID 'rebuild' with iRecover right? Just ran the simple volume recovery? Correct?

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIUq03Deyy0
lpsbossard

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 07:05:01 AM »

It went up and all the data shows intact. But after half an hour the server again goes down.

Was that after the RAID was rebuilt or was it maybe still degraded? IOW, did you hook up the new disk and immediately started using the machine again? If the latter then I doubt the RAID was fully rebuilt already.

Ans: Yes, we have replaced one SCSI HDD and the server started. It went off after about 1/2 an hour. So, it might be possible that the RAID was not build completely.

Now while searching we tried your iRecover Tool and Bought it online. We run this on the drive. It recovers the partition type and the files and directories. but it didn't recover in the way files and folders were present originally.

Just for my understanding: You did not do a RAID 'rebuild' with iRecover right? Just ran the simple volume recovery? Correct?

Ans: Yes we did not do a RAID 'Rebuild" with the iRecover. We just ran the Simple voulme recovery. System shows all the drives and data intact including OS and installed application. Only One drive was having problem.

Please suggest Huh
Thanks
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 11:58:09 AM »

I think it's safe to assume that the raid rebuild did not go well. Also, chkdsk has run, which has probably created more problems, especially with the raid crash involved. The raid itself is intact (as far as the disks being grouped together goes), because you managed to run the simple volume analysis, but that yielded nothing of interest. So, the conclusion must be that this raid setup is damaged beyond repair. That rebuild should have been given priority. It's time to pull out the backup tapes.
System shows all the drives and data intact including OS and installed application
what does this mean?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length