Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 19, 2019, 08:15:25 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  iRecover (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  iRecover on RAID 0
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: iRecover on RAID 0  (Read 6548 times)
gemdy

« on: May 20, 2008, 03:03:34 PM »

I had an old PC with a 500GB RAID 0 set-up (2x 250GB Hard Drives) - about 460GB used. I didnt really know what I had or what RAID truely was before I discovered the problem and did a lot of research... One day as I booted up my PC, the computer said the  RAID array failed. It found both Hard Drives seperately but didnt find the RAID array. I have tested the computer various ways, and I'm pretty sure its a problem with the RAID controller or the motherboard, not the hard drives as the computer seems to find both hard drives.

I have another new computer with a 500GB (450 free) HD. I would like to pull the data off the old hard drives. How would I set this up? I have an external HD enclosure that I can use to connect one of the RAID hard drives to the new computer. I was thinking of connecting one HD, making an image of it, and then connecting the other and using the image plus the connected one to build the RAID.
Where would I be able to put the "new" RAID image?

Ideas? Help?
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 03:50:46 PM »

The best way would be to simply connect both disks to a computer (as they are now, i assume, although not as a raid set) and run iRecover to get the data off.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting: will you create the image yourself? How would you do that, do you know the raid parameters etc.?

gemdy

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 05:07:08 PM »

Tom:
The computer they were connected to will not fully boot up. It starts, but once it finds the array missing in the boot-up process it stops working. I cant actually get into this computer to run. (A friend even suggested booting this computer from a GOS CD, but it still wont run, I think the motherboard is messed up).

The new computer does not have a RAID controller (that I know of) and therfore I cant just connect the two drives to the new computer unless I buy another external hard drive enclosure to connect it.  I guess i could do this.

Last night I used the new computer and the external hard drive enclosure to make an image of one of the drives. i was thinking I could use the image and plug in the other RAID drive with the hard drive enclosure to run irecover. My question is where will I be able to put the "new" rebuilt RAID image?
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 03:41:47 PM »

Since i'm not entirely sure what it is you're trying to do (and i'm not sure i have been explaining things correctly) i'll summarize a few things:

1. you can NOT rebuild the array using iRecover. What iRecover WILL do is analyze the disks and rebuild the array structure IN MEMORY. This data is then used to copy the files from the disks, to safety. Nothing is repaired, and repairing is (most likely) not possible.

2. the trick here would be to connect the disks that made up the raid, directly to a disk controller in a pc. That would mean that they would end up as 2 connected disks, and will be picked up by the pc's bios as such (you shouldn't need a raid controller to do this, just connect them as you would any other disk). You can then tell iRecover that these two disks were a raid array and then iRecover gets to work on the disks. Obviously you need a working pc to do this, and it should be able to run Windows. You will also need a target for the recovered files; a disk or partition that can receive the files as they are recovered from the (former raid) disks.

I hope this clears things up a bit and explains clearly enough what it is you need to do: all you will be able to achieve in this scenario is copy the files from the raid to safety; rebuilding is not gonna happen. So if the former raid only contained windows and nothing special you can simply give up now and re-install. If the raid DID contain valuable data, use iRecover to lift the data from the disks.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length