Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2019, 07:31:03 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  toshiba hard disk mk4026gax disk locked
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: toshiba hard disk mk4026gax disk locked  (Read 13487 times)
xads

« on: December 08, 2009, 09:39:13 AM »

i am using diskpatch trying to recover my data but when i run the test and request repari there is a message notifiyng that disk is locked , is there a procedure to unlock the hard disk
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 10:11:43 AM »

did you use the forensic startup option?

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://youtu.be/Ox2F8QRuU5Q
xads

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 02:07:51 PM »

did you use the forensic startup option?

no i did not use this option but will try it tanks for the tip
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 03:05:59 PM »

No, you missed the point, although understandable.
Let me explain: When using forensic mode you are asked to select a disk that will be locked (nothing can be saved to it). This to prevent contamination of the disk. Our question was: did you perhaps use this option, because that is the only way to end up with a locked disk. So, if you did, DON'T use forensic mode when trying to repair a disk.
Just to be sure here, it was DiskPatch that says "locked disk", not some other app or feature?

Joep
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 08:40:22 AM »

It is likely the disk is locked with an ATA password. If you know the password you can unlock it using something like 'hdparm'. if you do know the password you may be able to unlock it using hddunlock.

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://youtu.be/Ox2F8QRuU5Q
xads

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 01:58:42 PM »

joep an dtom thnaks for the information i was using forensic mode did the change and use a usb for save log files and sove the problem fix the read error and then remove the drive form the laptop to read the information in another machine i was able at that time but by then it was to late then i pack everything and move to home whne i try again i was unable to read the hard drive  usisng a usb adapter then put the disk back on the laptop and use diskpatch again it can not read the hard drive
erro:
state file geometry is different from the currently active geometry for disk 0 (12) erro ocurred durring

tjis dosent read good any sugestions ?
thanks before hadn for your kindly attention to this matter
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 02:18:16 PM »

state file geometry is different from the currently active geometry for disk 0
This isn't an error, it just states that DiskPatch has detected that the disk's specifics have changed (which is expected when you move a disk to a USB enclosure). So not a problem, you can continue working with DiskPatch and the disk. I'm not sure what else is going wrong, your explanation is a bit vague. Please make sure to exactly tell us what errors (if any) are displayed by DiskPatch.
Also, i'm not sure i understand what it is you are trying to do. If read errors are a problem and you need to recover things from the disk, you may need to clone the disk first. If there's only a few read errors a surface scan may be all you need to do.
If you require more help, please explain in detail what the problem is and what you want to achieve.

xads

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 03:30:37 PM »

toms thanks for the information is encouraing
I AM TRYING TO RECOVER MY FILES MONTHS OF WORK
BESIDES THIS ERROR
I GET ERORR CODE 153 AT 0A72:0A6C
THEN ALSO
NO EXT 13H  SUPPORT DETECTED

how can i clone the disk with this problem of recognition?

regards
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 03:35:57 PM »

I GET ERORR CODE 153 AT 0A72:0A6C
What gives this error? When do you see it?
This comes up when trying to run DiskPatch from within Windows, or when no disks are detected by DiskPatch because the necessary interface can not be located.

I still don't know what happened because you don't say. "I AM TRYING TO RECOVER MY FILES MONTHS OF WORK" doesn't tell me anything.

If you want to clone the disk you'll have to make sure that DiskPatch sees the disk first. The best would be to connect the disk directly to a PC, not using USB. Then use the DiskPatch boot diskette and clone the disk to another disk.

xads

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 03:59:14 PM »

Tom , the disk is conected to the laptop interface and i am running diskpatch from CD with the boot option
diskpatch did not recognize any disk in the scaning before it display the main menu of options then i try foresnic mode it shows the information on the bad disk but no geometry
what i am trying to do is recover the files on the disk BUT HAVE NOT BE ABLE TO RUN THE CLONING OPTION

What gives this error? When do you see it?

This comes up when trying to run DiskPatch from within Windows, or when no disks are detected by DiskPatch because the necessary interface can not be located.

I still don't know what happened because you don't say. "I AM TRYING TO RECOVER MY FILES MONTHS OF WORK" doesn't tell me anything.

If you want to clone the disk you'll have to make sure that DiskPatch sees the disk first. The best would be to connect the disk directly to a PC, not using USB. Then use the DiskPatch boot diskette and clone the disk to another disk.
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 04:10:04 PM »

This isn't going the way i want it to. Let me try one last time, please read the questions and answer them, one at the time:

- what happened to the files? what caused the files to disappear, what gives you the indication that you need to recover files?
- do you have access to the disk in a normal way? can you access files in Windows?
- are you sure that DiskPatch is the correct tool for the job? what gave you the idea that you had to use DiskPatch?

I can't really offer advice because i know nothing, with the exception that there appear to be read errors. If you don't answer the questions i can only offer general advice.

What might help is this: post a support analysis log file. Read here how to do this:
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guide_supportanalysis.htm
This might help too:
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guide_smartcheck.htm

As stated: connect the disk directly to a PC, if possible. Don't use USB.

xads

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 04:40:10 PM »

A week ago my hard dirve failed to boot giving and error of a missing file
I remove the drive and installed it using an usb adapter the drive was recognized but I was unable to read the files
Then I search for a data recovering software and or hard drive repair and find diskpatch and use a demo version awhich was able to recognize the HD, the I bougth the license and used it yesterday after several trials I was able to scan the surface and fix  the read error
Then I tried to load the windows again using recovery option it run well but  then the disk did not boot
So I remove the disk from the laptop and using the usb adapter installed it into another pc I find out I was able to read all my files unfortunaley it was too late so I turn off all the equipments and took the hd to home , then when I connected it into anotner pc using the usb   adapter  the disk was not recognized  I used another pc same history then I installed the hd back to the laptop and boot using diskopatch an at the first scan that do diskpatch it recognized the hd adapter but not hd the I used forensic option tdisk patch give a reading for the hard drive but with our geometry 
So at this point disk patch did not recognize the hd at all and I am unable to run the cloning option at all to recover my files

Joep
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 09:00:34 AM »

Hello,

It is likely the disk in bad shape, and causes read errors. When dealing with read errors you want as little layers as possible between DiskPatch and the disk, so accessing the disk trhough USB is a bad idea as it adds an extra layer and room for errors.

Ideally you connect the 'bad disk' (source) and the disk you want to clone to (destination), to a normal and modern PC. If the source disk is a 2.5" laptop disk and connections don't match, use a converter if needed (2.5" to 3.5" adapter). Again, avoid USB type 'converters'.

Some more tips:

- When cloning you can ignore all geometry type errors DiskPatch displays. It will read the source disk from beginning to end and the geometry is irrelevant for this operation.

- Make sure you read the DiskPatch relevant user guide portions:
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/clone.htm
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guide_clone.htm

--
Kind regards,
xads

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 01:59:16 PM »

joep thanks a lot for the information and tips i will work on them , yesterday as sugested yesterday i did
the smart test i get and error code 153 at 0a72:0a6c
for scan the disk the only way it worked was using forensic mode
after serveral trys i get a "detection" of thehard drive
no port referede and head size :255 sect geom:63  statefile
then tried to scan it i get a message:
can not load state file for disk 0
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 04:46:29 PM »

I have no idea what this is about. I don't understand what you're trying to do. We said, there are read errors, so clone the disk. Do that.

One more thing. The error(s) you get could be a FreeDOS problem. Uninstall your current version of DiskPatch and download and install this one:
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/downloads/Demo/DiskPatch_Setup_w98dos.exe
Create a new boot disk and see if that makes a difference.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length