Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2019, 07:35:05 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Diskpatch Startup Checks
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diskpatch Startup Checks  (Read 5415 times)
bwarz

« on: December 15, 2009, 10:26:57 PM »

My desktop won't boot.  I downloaded the latest diskpatch to my laptop, and made a boot floppy.  I booted the desktop from the floppy, and tried to Create a Support Analysis Log.  I get all green checks, except it appears to hang on Number of read retries.  No green check.

My desktop has an ASUS P5Q3 MB, a quad core Intel processor, and four 1 TB WD HDDs configured as RAID 0+1.  I have been using Windows XP Pro for quite a while.  I created 2 extra partitions.  I installed Windows 7 32 bit in one, and Windows 7 64 bit in the other.  I was multibooting for about 3 weeks between the OS's with no problem.  I came back from a one week vacation, and when I turned on the desktop, I got some sort of Windows error message that it needed to repair something.  I clicked OK, then it would only give me the Windows 7 32 bit and Windows 64 bit boot options.  Then I insatlled Powerquest's boot manager from Windows 7 (probably a bad idea).  Now it won't boot.  I can only boot from the Windows 7 install DVDs.  If I boot from the XP install CD, I get a BSD.
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:09:45 AM »

hello,

There are a couple of things that can be going wrong here:

- DiskPatch uses FreeDOS as OS and this sometimes hangs dragging DiskPatch along. The solution would be to use a different DOS version: http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/downloads/Demo/DiskPatch_Setup_w98dos.exe. Download that version, uninstall the current DiskPatch installation and install this one. Create a new DiskPatch diskette.

- The disk is in such a bad shape that Diskpatch can't cope. We need to examine the diskhealth, check the diskette for a 'report.txt' file and post it contents here. If there is no such file then try creating one:
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/dp_manual/guide_smartcheck.htm

Also, you can try from the DiskPatch startup application, selecting 'DiskPatch options (Troubleshooting)', then 'skip general checks'. That will skip the checks where it appears to be hanging now.

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://youtu.be/Ox2F8QRuU5Q
bwarz

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 12:35:27 AM »

I downloaded the WIn98 version, and created a new floppy.  It still hung on Read retries.  But I got 2 error messages stating that the MBR was bad.  I did a power off-on reboot.

However, I got the desktop working anyway.  I reinstalled Windows 7 32-bit from the installation DVD.  After that, when I rebooted, I got my multi-boot menu that I expected - XP, 7 32-bit, and 7 64-bit.  So I'm happy for now Cheesy

I would have liked to have created the diagnostic report to have as a baseline.
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 08:39:20 AM »

Very strange, this hanging on retries. Are you sure it's actually stuck, pressing keys doesn't do anything?
Anyway, at least it's good to see that your problem it's fixed.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length