Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2019, 07:34:12 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Hangs up using Bootable CD
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hangs up using Bootable CD  (Read 10917 times)
capnwho

« on: February 17, 2010, 03:00:47 AM »

I am getting the initial screen where you have to indicate "1" or "2", with 1 being "Do not enable DMA disk access (default)" and 2 being "Enable DMA disk access".

There are also two function key options at the bottom (from memory):

F5  Bypass startup items
F8 Line by Line of autoexec.bat

Anyway, I am accepting the default of "1" since my HP laptop's internal drive is on a SATA controller.

All that happens is that the following 3 lines are displayed at the bottom of screen and computer just hangs up, requiring a hard restart:

FreeDOS HIMEM64 3.12 [Sep 11 2005] (c) 1995, Till Gerken 2001-2005 tom ehlert

HIMEM - BIOS A20 method used

Kernel: allocated 41 Diskbuffers = 21812 Bytes in HMA

This is pretty frustrating.  I tried burning a 2nd bootable CD with the same result !?

Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 07:51:04 AM »

It is a FreeDOS incompatibility problem. Try this distribution, it has Win98 DOS boot files.
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/downloads/Demo/DiskPatch_Setup_w98dos.exe
Uninstall your current version first.

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://youtu.be/Ox2F8QRuU5Q
capnwho

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 06:20:52 PM »

OK, that seems to have worked with the CD, but now as you know, there is no way for me to save the log files.  Now the next hoop I have to jump through to try out your product is how to make a USB key bootable and to put the DP.exe file on it.

I believe my HP dv5000t with Phoenix BIOS is bootable from USB because the boot sequence (which I can change the order) says:

1  USB Floppy
2  ATAPI CD/DVD ROM Drive
3  Notebook Hard Drive
4  USB Diskette on Key
5  USB Hard Drive
6  Network Adapter

So I should be able to put "USB Diskette on Key" as 2 and move everything else down one in the process.  I need to know how to make a "USB Diskette on Key" and then add the DP.exe file to it, right?  A step by step walkthrough would be nice.

The other option I believe is to download the "HP USB Key Formatter" and format it to FAT32.  Then with the USB key before the CD/DVD in the boot sequence, DiskPatch should give me the option of writing the log files on the USB key, correct?  The problem is that your link to download it in the DiskPatch manual just goes to your products download page and I see no link for "HP USB Key Formatter", thus cannot download it.

Help would be appreciated.  I really want to try out your product and am hopeful, but lots of hoops to jump through here.  Thanks.
capnwho

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 07:55:12 PM »

Here's an update.  I found the other link you posted in the other thread here, which is:
How to Format a USB Memory Key and I am able to run the software from the CD and put the log files on my USB key.  So that problem is solved.

Now, I happen to know that this hard drive has a large number of bad LBA's (sectors?) from running SeaTools for DOS ver. 2.17.  There are about 100 bad ones as a matter of fact.  So when I was trying to "Create a Support Analysis Log" for the drive, I ended up aborting the operation after the first 3 errors found because I estimated that it was going to take something like 3 hours to get to the end.  I'm not only worried about the time, but also the wear and tear on the drive which may already be failing.

How can I reset the number of read retries before I "Create a Support Analysis Log"?  If the default is 32, I think that's way too high and I was thinking something like 5 might be better.  I see an option called "DiskPatch options (troubleshooting)", but when I select that I get no option for setting the number of read retries.  What do you advise?

Thanks.

PS:  I see that from the initial menu before the "Main Menu" you have the 5 options:

Start DiskPatch
Create a Support Analysis log
Create a S.M.A.R.T. report
DiskPatch options (troubleshooting)
Quit

If you select "Create a Support Analysis log", nowhere will you be allowed to adjust any of the configuration settings (like setting the read retries to 5 like I want).  You can only get to this option if you select "Start DiskPatch", then you get to the "Main Menu" where you have the 5 options:

Select Disk
Options
Support
About Diskpatch
Quit

If you select "Options", you can get to the configuration settings where I can reset the read retries to 5.  The problem is that you cannot retain this setting and run the "Create a Support Analysis log" because the only way to get back to "Create a Support Analysis log" is by quitting the software and then all the configuration settings you made get put right back to the default values (32 in this case).  Do you see my problem?

I'm thinking that I need to clone this disk before farting around anymore and possibly testing it into destruction.  I guess cloning is not possible with the Trial Edition?  If I purchase it and it cannot successfully clone my disk, can I ask for a refund?  Thanks.
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 08:42:17 AM »

Hello,

I need to know how to make a "USB Diskette on Key" and then add the DP.exe file to it, right?  A step by step walkthrough would be nice.

Start > programs > DIY dataRecovery Diskpatch 3 > create bootable USB key for DiskPatch. We can not make it more walkthrough than that. Just checked all links and they work. The windows 98 DOS files distribution was updated recently so you may need to re-download that to get the walkthrough.

If you select "Options", you can get to the configuration settings where I can reset the read retries to 5.  The problem is that you cannot retain this setting and run the "Create a Support Analysis log" because the only way to get back to "Create a Support Analysis log" is by quitting the software and then all the configuration settings you made get put right back to the default values (32 in this case).  Do you see my problem?

No. In DiskPatch change read retries, then back in main menu > support > create support analysis ... You do not have to exit DiskPatch for that. Also, if you run DiskPatch from USB settings like read-retries are stored in a configuration file. So they're sticky.

Yes, I'd definitely try cloning the disk. Yes, if cloning fails we do a refund. That is if cloning does not work at all: if the clone is inaccessible this will because of bad sectors that could not be copied. There is no way around real bad sectors. If those bad sectors happen to contain key meta information then it is to be expected that the clone can not be accessed as it will lack this key meta data. However, recovering data from the disk should then be possible without having to deal with the bad sectors.

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://youtu.be/Ox2F8QRuU5Q
capnwho

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 04:39:47 PM »

Start > programs > DIY dataRecovery Diskpatch 3 > create bootable USB key for DiskPatch. We can not make it more walkthrough than that. Just checked all links and they work. The windows 98 DOS files distribution was updated recently so you may need to re-download that to get the walkthrough.

Okay thanks.  Just checked and the link you gave me yesterday to the windows 98 DOS files when installed, didn't (at least not yesterday) include the "create bootable USB key for DiskPatch".  So I just have to uninstall, download and reinstall again.  No problem.

Maybe the DiskPatch manual has been updated in the new download as well?  The links to "HP USB key formatter" are definitely wrong in mine.  Not complaining so much as trying to be helpful.  See Getting Started / Starting DiskPatch / Read more about this here   / HP USB key formatter.

No. In DiskPatch change read retries, then back in main menu > support > create support analysis ... You do not have to exit DiskPatch for that. Also, if you run DiskPatch from USB settings like read-retries are stored in a configuration file. So they're sticky.

Thank you very much for that.  I confess I didn't try the "support" selection in the main menu.  I guess I thought it would just lead to contact information.

I had wondered if the configuration settings might be saveable.  Of course, since I was running from the CD, the software couldn't save them.  So I'll try creating the bootable USB key and try running from there.  Thanks!

Yes, I'd definitely try cloning the disk. Yes, if cloning fails we do a refund. That is if cloning does not work at all: if the clone is inaccessible this will because of bad sectors that could not be copied. There is no way around real bad sectors. If those bad sectors happen to contain key meta information then it is to be expected that the clone can not be accessed as it will lack this key meta data. However, recovering data from the disk should then be possible without having to deal with the bad sectors.

In my case the computer is fully functional under Windows XP.  What started this (I think) is that a year ago it fell off of my bed onto the carpet.  I immediately tested it and the DST test in SeaTools for DOS (it is a Seagate drive) failed (Test Status #1-07 Fail).  I ran the long test and it identified 100 bad LBA's as Failed from 227312872 to 227478518.  When I tell it to repair them it signifies "repaired and passed".  Upon follow up short test and long test it seems nothing has been repaired at all cause I get the same results!  Very frustrating.

Then I tried to create a backup image of the entire drive using Acronis Tru Image Home 10.0.  The backup operation froze the computer requiring a hard restart.  The place where it froze was on the D: partition which is HP_Recovery.  It did that two other times before I gave up.  I also tried just backing up the C: partition and the small partition (MBR etc.?).  It also failed, locking up the computer during the small partition.

So that's what lead me to you, because I wanted to make a succesful working copy onto a new and larger hard drive (on the way).  Then I could wipe the old drive and return it to Seagate for a warranty claim.

One thing that concerns me is that when I started testing the drive with DiskPatch the S.M.A.R.T. Drive Health was reported as 81%.  I just checked it this morning and it said it was down to 10%!  Is this a natural result of all the testing, since the drive was repeatedly trying to read from bad sectors, most of which being in the Recovery partition were not being read or written to under normal operating conditions?  Should I be alarmed?

Another question: Can I just clone the main C: partition and the small partition from the 120 GB old drive to the new 160 GB and just omit the D:HP_Recovery partition?  When I do this can I have the C: partition be resized so that it completely fills the space on the drive?

Here is the S.M.A.R.T. Report from yesterday (today Health is down to 10% from 81% though - I didn't run and log the full test):

Detected Controllers

Disk Controller 1
    Device Vendor . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 8086
    Device ID . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 27DF
    Device  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel ICH7 Ultra ATA
    Device Location . . . . . . . . . . . . : Bus 0, Device 31, Function 1
    Device Ports  . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 0000-0007, 1880-188F

Disk Controller 2
    Device ID . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 27C5
    Device  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel
    Device Location . . . . . . . . . . . . : Bus 0, Device 31, Function 2
    Device Ports  . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 18C8-18CF, 18AC-18AF, 18C0-18C7, 18A8-18AB, 18B0-18BF

Physical Disk Information - Disk: #0

Hard Disk Summary
    Hard Disk Number  . . . . . . . . . . . : 0
    Interface . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : S-ATA
    Connection  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 2
    Hard Disk Model ID  . . . . . . . . . . : ST9120822AS
    Hard Disk Revision  . . . . . . . . . . : 3.ALC
    Hard Disk Serial Number . . . . . . . . : 5LZ8ZCWP
    Hard Disk Total Size  . . . . . . . . . : 114473 MB
    Current Temperature:  . . . . . . . . . : 47 øC (117 øF)
    Power on time . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 88 days, 3 hours
    Health: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 81 %
    Performance:  . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 100 %

ATA Information
    Hard Disk Cylinders . . . . . . . . . . : 16383
    Hard Disk Heads . . . . . . . . . . . . : 16
    Hard Disk Sectors . . . . . . . . . . . : 63
    Total Sectors . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 234441648
    ATA Revision  . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 7
    Bytes Per Sector  . . . . . . . . . . . : 512
    Buffer Size . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 8192 KB
    Multiple Sectors  . . . . . . . . . . . : 16
    Error Correction Bytes  . . . . . . . . : 4
    Unformatted Capacity  . . . . . . . . . : 114473 MB
    Maximum PIO Mode  . . . . . . . . . . . : 4
    Maximum Multiword DMA Mode  . . . . . . : 2
    Maximum UDMA Mode . . . . . . . . . . . : 150 MB/s (6)
    Active UDMA Mode  . . . . . . . . . . . : 150 MB/s (5)
    Minimum multiword DMA transfer time . . : 120 ns
    Recommended multiword DMA transfer time : 120 ns
    Minimum PIO transfer time without IORDY : 240 ns
    Minimum PIO transfer time with IORDY  . : 120 ns
    ATA Control Byte  . . . . . . . . . . . : Valid

Acoustic Management Configuration
    Acoustic Management . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Acoustic Management . . . . . . . . . . : Disabled
    Current Acoustic Level  . . . . . . . . : Default (00h)
    Recommended Acoustic Level  . . . . . . : Max performance and volume (FEh)

EIDE Properties
    Read Ahead Buffer . . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    DMA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Ultra DMA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    S.M.A.R.T.  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Power Management  . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Write Cache . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Host Protected Area . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Advanced Power Management . . . . . . . : Supported
    Power Up In Standby . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    48-bit LBA Addressing . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Device Configuration Overlay  . . . . . : Supported
    IORDY Support . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Read/Write DMA Queue  . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    NOP Command . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Trusted Computing . . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    64-bit World Wide ID  . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Streaming . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Media Card Pass Through . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    General Purpose Logging . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Error Logging . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    CFA Feature Set . . . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Long Physical Sectors (1) . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Long Logical Sectors  . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Write-Read-Verify . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported, Disabled
    NV Cache Feature  . . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    NV Cache Power Mode . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported

S.M.A.R.T. Details
    Off-line data collection  . . . . . . . : Succesfully completed
    Self test execution status  . . . . . . : Test Failed By Read Element
    Total time to complete off-line data ...: 426 seconds
    Execute off-line immediate  . . . . . . : Supported
    Abort/restart off-line by host  . . . . : Not Supported
    Off-line read scanning  . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Short Self-test . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Extended Self-test  . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Conveyance self-test  . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Selective self-test . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Save data before/after power saving mode: Supported
    Enable/Disable attribute autosave . . . : Supported
    Error logging capability  . . . . . . . : Supported
    Short self-test estimated time  . . . . : 1 minutes
    Extended self-test estimated time . . . : 111 minutes

Security Mode
    Security Mode . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Security Erase  . . . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Security Erase Time . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Security Enhanced Erase Feature . . . . : Not Supported
    Security Enhanced Erase Time  . . . . . : Not Supported
    Security Enabled  . . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Security Locked . . . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Security Frozen . . . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Security Counter Expired  . . . . . . . : No
    Security Level  . . . . . . . . . . . . : High

Serial ATA Features
    S-ATA Compliance  . . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    S-ATA I Signaling Speed (1.5 Gps) . . . : Supported
    S-ATA II Signaling Speed (3 Gps)  . . . : Not Supported
    Receipt Of Power Management Requests ...: Not Supported
    PHY Event Counters  . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Non-Zero Buffer Offsets In DMA Setup FIS: Not Supported
    DMA Setup Auto-Activate Optimization  . : Not Supported
    Device Initiating Interface Power Man...: Supported, Disabled
    In-Order Data Delivery  . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Asynchronous Notification . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Software Settings Preservation  . . . . : Supported, Enabled
    Native Command Queuing  . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Queue Length  . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 32

S.M.A.R.T.
    1  : Raw Read Error Rate            Threshold=6   Value=100 Worst=253 Data=000000000000 Status=OK                        Flags=Error-rate, Performance, Statistical, Critical
    3  : Spin Up Time                   Threshold=0   Value=99  Worst=99  Data=000000000000 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Statistical, Critical
    4  : Start/Stop Count               Threshold=20  Value=99  Worst=99  Data=0000000006A5 Status=OK                        Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
    5  : Reallocated Sectors Count      Threshold=36  Value=100 Worst=100 Data=000000000009 Status=OK                        Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical, Critical
    7  : Seek Error Rate                Threshold=30  Value=76  Worst=60  Data=000002C1A186 Status=OK                        Flags=Error-rate, Performance, Statistical, Critical
    9  : Power-On Time Count            Threshold=0   Value=98  Worst=98  Data=000000000843 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
    10 : Spin Retry Count               Threshold=34  Value=100 Worst=100 Data=000000000000 Status=OK                        Flags=Event Count, Statistical, Critical
    12 : Drive Power Cycle Count        Threshold=20  Value=99  Worst=99  Data=000000000400 Status=OK                        Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
    187: Vendor-specific                Threshold=0   Value=1   Worst=1   Data=00000000026F Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
    189: Vendor-specific                Threshold=0   Value=100 Worst=100 Data=000000000000 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Error-rate, Statistical
    190: Airflow Temperature            Threshold=45  Value=53  Worst=40  Data=00032F2F002F Status=OK                        Flags=Self Preserving, Statistical
    192: Power off Retract Cycle        Threshold=0   Value=100 Worst=100 Data=000000000388 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
    193: Load/Unload Cycle Count        Threshold=0   Value=99  Worst=99  Data=000000000B62 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
    194: HDD Temperature                Threshold=0   Value=47  Worst=60  Data=00140000002F Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Self Preserving, Statistical
    195: Hardware ECC Recovered         Threshold=0   Value=100 Worst=63  Data=000008F647EF Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Event Count, Error-rate, Statistical
    197: Current Pending Sector Count   Threshold=0   Value=100 Worst=100 Data=000000000007 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Event Count, Statistical
    198: Off-Line Uncorrectable Sect... Threshold=0   Value=100 Worst=100 Data=000000000007 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Event Count
    199: Ultra ATA CRC Error Count      Threshold=0   Value=200 Worst=200 Data=000000000002 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Error-rate, Performance, Statistical
    200: Write Error Rate               Threshold=0   Value=100 Worst=253 Data=000000000000 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=
    202: Data Address Mark Errors       Threshold=0   Value=100 Worst=253 Data=000000000000 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 08:55:35 AM »

Manuals and links should now be fine, sorry about that. I was a bit slow with some updates which caused some links to fail for a short time.

Disk health can most definately drop significantly when working with the bad areas on the disk, but this seems a bit drastic. Clone a.s.a.p. remains a solid advice.

You could clone selected parts of the disk, but cloning is done on a sector by sector basis, so you can't just say 'skip partition x' or 'select partition x'. This is by design. You can however clone ranges of the disk, but you'll have to enter the LBA address numbers to do this. So you would need to know the start and end addresses for the partition you want to clone. Keep in mind though that the location on the disk (for the clone target) doesn't change: if you clone a partition that's further down the disk it will also be at that location on the target disk. Also by design; when running file recovery tools later on, on the clone, all address data needs to be exactly right, so moving (or resizing) partitions during a clone (which is a recovery scenario) is a bad idea.
Generally it's best to clone the entire disk; if the result isn't as good as expected it may be necessary to use a file recovery tool on the cloned disk and at that point every good (cloned) sector counts.

So, resizing during cloning is also not an option.

Having the computer hang during imaging actions is both alarming and to be expected. Most imaging tools don't handle disk access problems very well. If disk access/errors occurred when windows was running (the imaging process), the event log may contain some interesting info.

capnwho

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:50:42 PM »

Disk health can most definately drop significantly when working with the bad areas on the disk, but this seems a bit drastic. Clone a.s.a.p. remains a solid advice.

So just to make sure I understand, the drop in Health from 81% to 10% "could" very well be to all the testing I did and the resulting read errors which the system normally didn't experience due to the bad sectors being in the recovery partition and other areas which were not normally being accessed by the operating system?  But just to be on the safe side, better not do any more testing, which may drop Health even further, and just clone the thing ASAP?

Could I use your freeware product, HD-Workbench to see if cloning of my disk is successful, ie. the result still boots and functions under Windows like the source disk?  Then if it works I'll know that DiskPatch would successfully clone as well?  Are the cloning functions equivalent in the two products?  I'd feel better about purchasing DiskPatch then.

After that, since the bad sectors would be gone, perhaps I could use Acronis (or even HD-Workbench) to do a disk image, omitting the recovery partition (which I'm sure must be corrupted anyway) and I believe that would allow me to resize partitions during a future restore process back to a larger disk?
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 02:18:49 PM »

So just to make sure I understand ... just clone the thing ASAP?
If you want what's on that disk, then yes. You've already tried other things, they didn't work out, so...
I understand you don't see the urgency here, it seems the disk is still functional. But it should be replaced and the only way to get the disk copied (it seems, after your other exploits) is cloning. And the signs of impending disaster are there.
Could I use your freeware product, HD-Workbench...
HDwb uses a different cloning method. DiskPatch is equipped to deal with read problems, HDwb is not. Besides, doing this conflicts with the a.s.a.p. cloning advice. And we have a refund policy, so we try to inspire confidence and cater to this specific type of situation.
But yes, you could. I would advice against it though.
After that...
I guess, yes. To be honest, we don't really care much about that sort of thing. We're here to make sure that you get your data back. Things like partition resizing and other luxury stuff is not high on the priority list. Recovery is first. Whatever you do when you have your data again, is up to you.

capnwho

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 05:52:16 PM »

Here is the latest S.M.A.R.T. report on this drive.  You can see that after all the Read Testing the diskhealth has gone from 81% to 10%.  I don't know if I am interpreting this all correctly but I am posting some comparisons of the attributes associated with bad sectors (81% vs. 10%).  Could you comment on them?  Thanks.

5  : Reallocated Sectors Count      Threshold=36  Value=100 Worst=100 Data=000000000009 Status=OK
5  : Reallocated Sectors Count      Threshold=36  Value=100 Worst=100 Data=000000000016 Status=OK

It looks like there were 9 reallocated sectors and now there are 16 (or is it hexadecimal which would mean 9 before and 22 now)?  The attribute value has not gotten any worse and is still at 100 though??!!

195: Hardware ECC Recovered         Threshold=0   Value=100 Worst=63  Data=000008F647EF Status=OK (Always passing)
195: Hardware ECC Recovered         Threshold=0   Value=94  Worst=63  Data=000001483211 Status=OK (Always passing)

How should I interpret this?  the raw data is in hexadecimal (8F647EF = 150,357,999 before and  1483211 = 21,508,625 now)?  The attribute value has gotten worse from 100 to 94, but still not equal to the worst of 63.

197: Current Pending Sector Count   Threshold=0   Value=100 Worst=100 Data=000000000007 Status=OK (Always passing)
197: Current Pending Sector Count   Threshold=0   Value=92  Worst=92  Data=0000000000AD Status=OK (Always passing)

If it's hexadecimal it was 7 = 7 before and now it is AD = 173, which would be an increase of 166 pending sectors (for reallocation)?

198: Off-Line Uncorrectable Sect... Threshold=0   Value=100 Worst=100 Data=000000000007 Status=OK (Always passing)
198: Off-Line Uncorrectable Sect... Threshold=0   Value=92  Worst=92  Data=0000000000AD Status=OK (Always passing)

So if the above was correct (7 before 173 now), this means that these 173 sectors can never be reallocated?  If so, why?

New S.M.A.R.T. Log:
Detected Controllers

Disk Controller 1
    Device ID . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 27DF
    Device  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel ICH7 Ultra ATA
    Device Location . . . . . . . . . . . . : Bus 0, Device 31, Function 1
    Device Ports  . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 0000-0007, 1880-188F

Disk Controller 2
    Device ID . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 27C5
    Device  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel
    Device Location . . . . . . . . . . . . : Bus 0, Device 31, Function 2
    Device Ports  . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 18C8-18CF, 18AC-18AF, 18C0-18C7, 18A8-18AB, 18B0-18BF

Physical Disk Information - Disk: #0

Hard Disk Summary
    Hard Disk Number  . . . . . . . . . . . : 0
    Interface . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : S-ATA
    Connection  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 2
    Hard Disk Model ID  . . . . . . . . . . : ST9120822AS
    Hard Disk Revision  . . . . . . . . . . : 3.ALC
    Hard Disk Serial Number . . . . . . . . : 5LZ8ZCWP
    Hard Disk Total Size  . . . . . . . . . : 114473 MB
    Current Temperature:  . . . . . . . . . : 30 ?C (86 ?F)
    Power on time . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 88 days, 15 hours
    Health: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 10 %
    Performance:  . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 100 %

ATA Information
    Hard Disk Cylinders . . . . . . . . . . : 16383
    Hard Disk Heads . . . . . . . . . . . . : 16
    Hard Disk Sectors . . . . . . . . . . . : 63
    Total Sectors . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 234441648
    ATA Revision  . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 7
    Bytes Per Sector  . . . . . . . . . . . : 512
    Buffer Size . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 8192 KB
    Multiple Sectors  . . . . . . . . . . . : 16
    Error Correction Bytes  . . . . . . . . : 4
    Unformatted Capacity  . . . . . . . . . : 114473 MB
    Maximum PIO Mode  . . . . . . . . . . . : 4
    Maximum Multiword DMA Mode  . . . . . . : 2
    Maximum UDMA Mode . . . . . . . . . . . : 150 MB/s (6)
    Active UDMA Mode  . . . . . . . . . . . : 150 MB/s (5)
    Minimum multiword DMA transfer time . . : 120 ns
    Recommended multiword DMA transfer time : 120 ns
    Minimum PIO transfer time without IORDY : 240 ns
    Minimum PIO transfer time with IORDY  . : 120 ns
    ATA Control Byte  . . . . . . . . . . . : Valid

Acoustic Management Configuration
    Acoustic Management . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Acoustic Management . . . . . . . . . . : Disabled
    Current Acoustic Level  . . . . . . . . : Default (00h)
    Recommended Acoustic Level  . . . . . . : Max performance and volume (FEh)

EIDE Properties
    Read Ahead Buffer . . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    DMA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Ultra DMA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    S.M.A.R.T.  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Power Management  . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Write Cache . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Host Protected Area . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Advanced Power Management . . . . . . . : Supported
    Power Up In Standby . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    48-bit LBA Addressing . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Device Configuration Overlay  . . . . . : Supported
    IORDY Support . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Read/Write DMA Queue  . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    NOP Command . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Trusted Computing . . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    64-bit World Wide ID  . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Streaming . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Media Card Pass Through . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    General Purpose Logging . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Error Logging . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    CFA Feature Set . . . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Long Physical Sectors (1) . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Long Logical Sectors  . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Write-Read-Verify . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported, Disabled
    NV Cache Feature  . . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    NV Cache Power Mode . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported

S.M.A.R.T. Details
    Off-line data collection  . . . . . . . : Succesfully completed
    Self test execution status  . . . . . . : Test Failed By Read Element
    Total time to complete off-line data ...: 426 seconds
    Execute off-line immediate  . . . . . . : Supported
    Abort/restart off-line by host  . . . . : Not Supported
    Off-line read scanning  . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Short Self-test . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Extended Self-test  . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Conveyance self-test  . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Selective self-test . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Save data before/after power saving mode: Supported
    Enable/Disable attribute autosave . . . : Supported
    Error logging capability  . . . . . . . : Supported
    Short self-test estimated time  . . . . : 1 minutes
    Extended self-test estimated time . . . : 111 minutes

Security Mode
    Security Mode . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Security Erase  . . . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Security Erase Time . . . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Security Enhanced Erase Feature . . . . : Not Supported
    Security Enhanced Erase Time  . . . . . : Not Supported
    Security Enabled  . . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Security Locked . . . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Security Frozen . . . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Security Counter Expired  . . . . . . . : No
    Security Level  . . . . . . . . . . . . : High

Serial ATA Features
    S-ATA Compliance  . . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    S-ATA I Signaling Speed (1.5 Gps) . . . : Supported
    S-ATA II Signaling Speed (3 Gps)  . . . : Not Supported
    Receipt Of Power Management Requests ...: Not Supported
    PHY Event Counters  . . . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Non-Zero Buffer Offsets In DMA Setup FIS: Not Supported
    DMA Setup Auto-Activate Optimization  . : Not Supported
    Device Initiating Interface Power Man...: Supported, Disabled
    In-Order Data Delivery  . . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Asynchronous Notification . . . . . . . : Not Supported
    Software Settings Preservation  . . . . : Supported, Enabled
    Native Command Queuing  . . . . . . . . : Supported
    Queue Length  . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 32

S.M.A.R.T.
    1  : Raw Read Error Rate            Threshold=6   Value=100 Worst=253 Data=000000000000 Status=OK                        Flags=Error-rate, Performance, Statistical, Critical
    3  : Spin Up Time                   Threshold=0   Value=99  Worst=99  Data=000000000000 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Statistical, Critical
    4  : Start/Stop Count               Threshold=20  Value=99  Worst=99  Data=0000000006AE Status=OK                        Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
    5  : Reallocated Sectors Count      Threshold=36  Value=100 Worst=100 Data=000000000016 Status=OK                        Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical, Critical
    7  : Seek Error Rate                Threshold=30  Value=76  Worst=60  Data=000002C73BF8 Status=OK                        Flags=Error-rate, Performance, Statistical, Critical
    9  : Power-On Time Count            Threshold=0   Value=98  Worst=98  Data=00000000084F Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
    10 : Spin Retry Count               Threshold=34  Value=100 Worst=100 Data=000000000000 Status=OK                        Flags=Event Count, Statistical, Critical
    12 : Drive Power Cycle Count        Threshold=20  Value=99  Worst=99  Data=000000000406 Status=OK                        Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
    187: Vendor-specific                Threshold=0   Value=1   Worst=1   Data=0000000007D7 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
    189: Vendor-specific                Threshold=0   Value=100 Worst=100 Data=000000000000 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Error-rate, Statistical
    190: Airflow Temperature            Threshold=45  Value=70  Worst=40  Data=00031E1D001E Status=OK                        Flags=Self Preserving, Statistical
    192: Power off Retract Cycle        Threshold=0   Value=100 Worst=100 Data=00000000038D Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
    193: Load/Unload Cycle Count        Threshold=0   Value=99  Worst=99  Data=000000000B95 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
    194: HDD Temperature                Threshold=0   Value=30  Worst=60  Data=00140000001E Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Self Preserving, Statistical
    195: Hardware ECC Recovered         Threshold=0   Value=94  Worst=63  Data=000001483211 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Event Count, Error-rate, Statistical
    197: Current Pending Sector Count   Threshold=0   Value=92  Worst=92  Data=0000000000AD Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Event Count, Statistical
    198: Off-Line Uncorrectable Sect... Threshold=0   Value=92  Worst=92  Data=0000000000AD Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Event Count
    199: Ultra ATA CRC Error Count      Threshold=0   Value=200 Worst=200 Data=000000000002 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Error-rate, Performance, Statistical
    200: Write Error Rate               Threshold=0   Value=100 Worst=253 Data=000000000000 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=
    202: Data Address Mark Errors       Threshold=0   Value=100 Worst=253 Data=000000000000 Status=OK (Always passing)       Flags=Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 09:40:26 AM »

This will shed some light on these things, better than I could:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.
Scroll down for the attribute breakdown.

In the end, it's not really that interesting. The disk IS dying and needs to be replaced, and if you want what's on the disk you should clone it before the data becomes inaccessible. It is true that if the problem is localized you may not be affected by it so much, but the disk should still be replaced: it has shown to be unreliable.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length