Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 01:38:01 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  iUndelete (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Cannot recover a deleted Windows Backup file (*.bkf)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cannot recover a deleted Windows Backup file (*.bkf)  (Read 7556 times)
kickingupwake

« on: August 06, 2010, 03:36:48 PM »

I accidentally deleted a windows backup file that had grown to 1.2 TB on a 1.5 TB external hard drive.  Because the recycle bin was not large enough to hold this file, it said it would permanently delete it.  I then proceeded to copy about 30MB of data over to the same external drive when the drive i was copying FROM had a head failure and crashed.  I really wish I hadn't deleted the 1.2 TB windows backup file now, but it's gone.

Well, I thought it was gone.  I found your software while searching the internet and it stated that it could recover a file after I had deleted it, so I bought it to give it a try.  I didn't see where I could have downloaded a trial copy first, or I would've tried it.  I did read, however, that if the software would not detect my deleted file, that my money would be returned. 

Using the iUndelete software, I scanned the external 1.5 TB drive and it took just a few seconds.  Nothing detected.  I tried setting the various filters and got the same result:  nothing.  No deleted files were detected.  Maybe because the file was so big?  Not sure.  I couldn't find anything in the online documentation stating there was a filesize limit. 

For grins, I tried scanning my internal OS hardrive, which is about 200GB.  It took a few minutes to scan and it found a bunch of files.  So, it looks like the software works, but it just didn't work on my external 1.5TB drive. 

I've already requested a refund, however, it was denied since I hadn't opened a support ticket yet.  so, here it is.  Please advise as I really need to get this bkf file back!

Thanks in advance for your help!
  -Bryan
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 06:59:19 PM »

Given your actions it is unlikely that you will be recovering that file intact. However, you can (and should) always try. You should have gone for iRecover, because the file is probably damaged after the deleting. iUndelete is a straightforward undeleter and iRecover is a much more comprehensive recovery tool. So give iRecover a try (use the trial version to analyze the disk and see what comes up) and I'll refund your original purchase for iUndelete. Please allow a few days for the refund to be processed.

kickingupwake

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 08:08:26 PM »

Thanks Tom.  I'll try the trial version of iRecover...  Hopefully I'll be able to pull something out of it.  The internal drive that crashed was only 400GB, which is what I had been backing up to the 1.5TB External.  I guess I had the Windows backup file set to append to the same file, so this single file had filled up the 1.5TB external hd to the max.  Once I deleted it, I began manually copying the raw data over to the external when it only got about 30MB into it and failed because of the heads crashed on the internal 400GB drive. 

I really, really don't want to go down the drive recovery path because it is so expensive.   However, if iRecover doesn't work, that will be the only option I can take because I can't lose that data as it contained every digital picture and video we've ever taken of our family. 

Thanks again for your help. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length