Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 15, 2018, 07:04:14 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  iRecover (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Spanned Dynamic Disk
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spanned Dynamic Disk  (Read 8964 times)
itfiveo

« on: July 25, 2008, 01:41:28 PM »

I am running Win2K Server.  It has 14 drives in it split up into 2 hardware RAID 5 logical volumes of 450 GB each on the same controller but 2 seperate channels.  Those 2 logical volumes are then spanned together in W2K disk manager to create one logical volume of 900 GB formated as NTFS.  Unfortunatly, I got it spanned back together once and then ran CHKDSK as Microsoft suggested.  Ever since then, It will not span the volume back together.  At this point, I just want to recover what ever data I can get off of it.  I have tried scanning it with IRecover, but it sees it as the individual logical drives (2 450 GB drives) instead of the entire 900 GB drive.  I have also tried going into the advaced area and telling it to only look at the logical volumes (drive letters) instead of the physical.  Unfortunatly, since I can't get them spanned back together, it will not see them as 1 logical volume.  So, I tried just scanning one of the drives, but after 12 hours and it seeing it as a FAT16 partition and no files or folders, I cancelled the operation.  Unfortunatly, backups are not an option either.  Is there any way for me to recover these files?
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »

Hello,

I am not sure if I get this right ...

14 drives: you mean physical disks right? With 2 RAID 5 arrays of 7 disks each right? And those are still intact, in Windows disk management they show up as 2 individual disks, correct? And those 2 'individual disks' you then spanned using Windows?

I have tried scanning it with IRecover, but it sees it as the individual logical drives (2 450 GB drives)

If that's in the physical disk selection screen then that's normal, after all there are 2 physical disks as far as iRecover is concerned. Question is, if you select the first disk, does it then correctly parse the LDM and show you a 900 Gb or so volume?

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIUq03Deyy0
itfiveo

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 02:59:35 PM »

I am not sure if I get this right ...

14 drives: you mean physical disks right? With 2 RAID 5 arrays of 7 disks each right? And those are still intact, in Windows disk management they show up as 2 individual disks, correct? And those 2 'individual disks' you then spanned using Windows?

Yes that is correct.  Yes, both RAID 5 arrays are still intact.  Yes in Windows, they show up as 2 individual disks that read missing with a red X in the Microsoft disk management console.

Question is, if you select the first disk, does it then correctly parse the LDM and show you a 900 Gb or so volume?

No, it does not correctly parse the LDM.  It actually shows them as MBR/Primary.

Joep
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 03:30:32 PM »

Hello,

Just to be on the safe side, so that it does actually try to parse the LDM: In advanced configuration > Disks and partitions > make sure both options are set to enabled.

If that already is the case, or if it doesn't change anything:

This was spanned right? Not RAID 0?

Assuming spanned:

In physical device list 'right click' and select define RAID manually > add the both 'disks' (in correct order) > for array type select JBOD > for both disks change start from 0 to 63. Accept message about incorrect sizes and let iRecover adjust. Select the virtual RAID, you will then probably be prompted for 'no partition table found'. 'Yes' that and select 'There was only one volume on the disk'. In the Volume selection screen select the volume with origin 'User input'.

ONE MORE THING: Is it possible that somehow, W2K installation is corrupt, was it reinstalled or anything? I am asking because iRecover can not read the LDM is Windows installation lacks 48 bit LBA support (see www.48bitlba.com).

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIUq03Deyy0
itfiveo

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 04:16:03 PM »

Just to be on the safe side, so that it does actually try to parse the LDM: In advanced configuration > Disks and partitions > make sure both options are set to enabled.

Both options are now enabled.

This was spanned right? Not RAID 0?

Yes, it was spanned

Assuming spanned: In physical device list 'right click' and select define RAID manually...

All of those settings are now set and it sees the spanned 900GB drive.  We are now rerunning the utility.

ONE MORE THING: Is it possible that somehow, W2K installation is corrupt, was it reinstalled or anything?

No, W2K is not corrupt.  It has other spanned volumes on it that are still 100% functioning...However I am starting to rethink the whole idea of spanned volumes, they are not a good thing.  No, it has not been reinstalled.

I will post further after iRecover is finished scanning.  Thank you very very very much for your assistance.
itfiveo

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 01:28:34 PM »

We are 97 hours into the scan of this spanned disk.   It just now finished the quick file scan and is 1 percent into the Full file scan. It  still list the file system type as unknown.  Is this how long it should take to scan 900 GB?
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 09:23:25 AM »

Hello,

I can not make predicitions on that, sorry. Depends on many factors, hardware, how many files we will run into etc..

--
Kind regards,
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length