Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2019, 07:31:52 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Is there an optimum system to run diskpatch on?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there an optimum system to run diskpatch on?  (Read 3867 times)
tip32a

« on: August 05, 2008, 05:40:03 AM »

Diskpatch routinely starts off with a 333 minute time and based on the progress goes up from there.  Is there a way to run diskpatch faster?

Assuming the source and destination drives are perfectly good.  ( I know!  I don't need disk patch for perfectly good drives) Cloning 2 80 gig drives on other applications (not data recovery apps) take 40 minutes.  Why is there such a descrepency in the clone times?

Is there a faster "data recovery" application?
Tom
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 09:17:07 AM »

Diskpatch routinely starts off with a 333 minute time and based on the progress goes up from there.  Is there a way to run diskpatch faster?
Probably not. Slow cloning could be caused by read problems, which is what DP is meant to handle but at the expense of speed.
Assuming the source and destination drives are perfectly good.  ( I know!  I don't need disk patch for perfectly good drives) Cloning 2 80 gig drives on other applications (not data recovery apps) take 40 minutes.  Why is there such a descrepency in the clone times?
DP usese a very different approach. The result is that the clone is relatively slow but the result is much more reliable, which we thought to be the priority.

I'm sure there are faster apps out there but they usually have a different approach. DP goes for "getting as much as possible from the disk" while most other cloning apps (with the exception of some very expensive dedicated data recovery tools) go for speed. Also, it's a naming thing: tools like Ghost or driveimage aren't cloning tools (they don't handle read errors all that well) so other "real" cloning tools are also likely to be slow.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length