Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2019, 01:23:29 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Possible 128Gb barrier problem
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possible 128Gb barrier problem  (Read 28703 times)
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 11:52:25 AM »

Hello,

DiskPatch is unable to detect the clustersize. Apart from that the boot sector repair attempt reveals that the MFT is not in sync with it's mirror. There are too many variables 'off', DiskPatch can't fix this disk. It's like math, to determine a variable you need at least some constants. For clustersize, we need to be able to detect some file system structures and their relative position towards the start of the volume. In this case we don't find those structures.

These structures are normally detected by magic bytes, those are always the same. The fact that we do not find them is a bad sign and may very well be the result of data corruption. To double check I asked you to run iUndelete and have that look for those structures. I am not sure if you tried that?

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://youtu.be/Ox2F8QRuU5Q
bharnish

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 09:56:41 PM »

I may have run iUndelete but I will run it again.  Which computer should I install the drive in:  The original computer with BIOS that only recognizes 128GB, or a new computer that recognizes all 160GB?

Thanks.
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 08:36:31 AM »

For the duration of the recovery the disk should be in the computer that recognizes the disk correctly.
If you need details on how to run iUndelete, check the walkthroughs:
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/iu_manual/guide_unformat_xauto.htm

bharnish

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 05:53:58 PM »

Hi.
Thanks again. 
Using iUndelete, I can see lots of file names but most of them are marked: "Validation: Failed".
If I recover one of these (.xls or .doc) files, the directory structure is OK except for the root, but text is wrong.
What can I do next?
Joep
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 07:05:18 PM »

Hello,

Yes, main thing I wanted from iUndelete, is knowing what cluster size 'it settles for'. That was in the other thread:

You can try with iUndelete: In advanced configuration, on the 'general TAB' disable 'Auto Pilote when possible'. Then select the NTFS partition and scan it. Please observe the bars and report on their behavior.

But I am afraid that, something, somewhere, went terribly wrong, perhaps during decryption, and that most if not all data on the disk is beyond recovery: iRecover scan results in largely corrupt data (validation score low), iUndelete validation scores low, DiskPatch unable to find index structures .. It doesn't all look too good. At some point, there is no next step and we're almost there. But, I still would like to know what clustersize iUndelete determined.

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://youtu.be/Ox2F8QRuU5Q
bharnish

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 04:02:34 PM »

Yes I did disable Auto Pilot and iUndelete settled on 8 sectors per cluster.
Thanks.
bharnish

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 12:57:36 PM »

Does this mean it's over?  If so, do I get a refund?
Thanks.
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 02:06:58 PM »

It would seem you are beyond help at this point, so technically yes, you are eligible for a refund if you wish.
If you decide to go ahead please mail (do not post!) us the order number for the purchase for which you wish to receive the refund.
Mail me (tom@diydatarecovery.nl) or us (support@diydatarecovery.nl).

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length