Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2019, 01:19:24 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  new HDD (containing clone) having trouble after overlaping partition selected
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new HDD (containing clone) having trouble after overlaping partition selected  (Read 6686 times)
nicholasb

« on: August 20, 2008, 07:13:12 PM »

Hi,
I have recently been using diskpatch and have run into a problem, but please let me start from the beginning.

It all began with my impatience. The computer was taking a while to shut down, and I grew impatient and forced it to turn off by holding in the power button. Well, 9 times out of 10 this has no adverse effect.

This time however, it kippered my hard drive, and gave it a bad sector.

So I bought a brand new hard drive, checked that it actually worked, and then cloned the kippered HDD onto the new HDD using diskpatch.

I subsequently repaired the mbr on the new HDD, but I noticed that there were 3 partitions picked up by the scanning, instead of the expected 2 (I had 2 logical drives on the old HDD). One of the partitions had an exclaimation mark by it, and upon further investigation, this was because it overlapped another partition. This particular partition was not initially selected. With both of the other partitions selected, the fix was in place, and I checked the HDD in windows.

Although the first partition was OK, the second was nowhere to be seen.  So I retrieved the data from the first partition, and then had an idea. Maybe the missing partition was the overlap partition. So I then used the undo option and this time remade the mbr using just the overlap partition selected.

Now when I reboot, the new HDD fails to pass the auto-detection (of hard drives) that comes up even before I can get into the Bios or into diskpatch again.

I have tried connecting the new HDD into other SATA connections, but still no joy.

The interesting thing is, the auto-detection message is "Auto-detecting third master", even though it is connected to the second connection. When I tried connecting it to the fourth connection, the message was "Auto-detecting fifth master".

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks for your help,
Nick.
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »

Hello,

Now when I reboot, the new HDD fails to pass the auto-detection (of hard drives) that comes up even before I can get into the Bios or into diskpatch again.

DiskPatch only edits the MBR and whatever 'garbage' you write there, it should not prevent the BIOS from detecting the physical disk. And this is the clone, correct?

Did you run DiskPatch from a diskette, and if so, can you please email us all files from the DPFILES folder?

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://youtu.be/Ox2F8QRuU5Q
nicholasb

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 01:09:32 AM »

Hi again,

Yes, this is the clone that has a detection problem. The auto-detection routine just freezes when trying to detect the settings of this drive.

I did use a floppy, and I will email the files to you.

Thanks,
Nick.

Joep
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 08:39:55 AM »

Hello,

Q: the original disk was not repaired with DiskPatch correct? And is this the one I see in the logs at port 129 (the approx 372 Gb disk)?

If the above assumption is correct: The disk geometry as reported by the BIOS and used at the time of creation of the volumes has been 'odd' from the start. Most BIOSes set geometry values after examining the partition tables, and the partition tables on this disk show the same 'odd' geometry values. I can't determine which came first, but at some point those partition tables with their odd values were created. Again, however odd, invalid etc. those values, a BIOS should be able to cope with that. Either your BIOS can't, OR, the values have nothing to do with this and the BIOS hangs for some other reason.

- Problem at hand of course is the disk that crashes autodetection. But you can't even get into the BIOS setup ... Is there another PC you can attach the disk to (different brand/BIOS)?

If you disconnect the disk then you can get into the BIOS setup?

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://youtu.be/Ox2F8QRuU5Q
nicholasb

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 04:38:14 PM »

Hi Joep,

Yes, you were right in your assumption.

I followed up your suggestion of connecting up the misbehaving HDD to another computer (a newer one).

To my surprise, the computer didn't have a problem with it, and when I scanned the partition on the HDD with some file recovery software, I found the missing files.

So, thanks for your help Joep  Smiley

Regards,
Nick.
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 08:33:36 AM »

Okido, well done then.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length