Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2019, 07:35:22 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  DIY DataRecovery.nl Support forum
|-+  Support
| |-+  DiskPatch (Moderators: Tom, Joep)
| | |-+  Bad MBR (I think)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bad MBR (I think)  (Read 8331 times)
jsbrink

« on: August 21, 2008, 04:27:46 PM »

Hi,

I was using my computer a few weeks ago and got a system error, rebooted several times and it wouldn't boot up.  Then I decided to try to fix it myself and broke this rule:

DO NOT use the Windows recovery console commands 'fixmbr' or 'fixboot'

Still wouldn't boot up, so I did more research and read I should clone it.  So I bought a new hard drive, wiped it, and bought Diskpatch.  Haven't been able to clone yet because I'm getting "Error occured while creating the logfile", then it lets me select drive A:\ (my floppy drive) and I get the same error.  The disk in the floppy works on another computer so that's not the problem.  The floppy drive previously worked and everything is properly connected (as best I can tell).  I also reinstalled the floppy driver and that didn't help.

I formatted a USB drive in FAT32 format and had that plugged in during startup but it didn't show up as a drive I could write the logfile on.  I didn't see a BIOS setting to "allow legacy access/devices for USB" but I'm going to look through my BIOS manual now (it's a 2003 computer).

I tried a Diskpatch read-only scan (since writing is disabled due to no logfile) to see if there are tons of disk errors or only a few.  It seemed to get stuck on sector 80896 and wouldn't continue.

Please help me get the logfile setup properly and let me know if this is not the best approach 1) scanning 2) cloning 3) repairing data on new HD.

Thanks a million for your help,
Jeff
Joep
Developer and Support Tech
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 08:57:58 AM »

Hello,

We updated DiskPatch yesterday - please grab that latest version and use that. If you do use the latest DiskPatch version it will try to get the status/health of all disks attached to the system. What does it report?

About the logging issue: If you decided to clone the disk then you can of course go ahead and disable logging.

To store a file, DiskPatch says to DOS, 'hey, I want to create a file, do it for me please'. Then DOS will go ahead and try to create a file. If DOS fails doing so, DOS reports an error to DiskPatch 'Better tell the user we can't create a file' ...

Either, there was really a problem creating a file, or, DOS got it wrong. If we assume the first option, try again with a brand new diskette. If that fails as well, DOS may be messing up. In our case the DOS version is FreeDOS (because we can freely distribute that) and you may want to use MS-DOS instead. In the user guide, 'installing and running DiskPatch' there's a link to a page where we explain how to create an MS-DOS startup diskette for different Windows versions.

About the USB support thing: If the BIOS does not offer legacy USB support (btw we have older machines here that do) then setting it up is a pain in the bottom. And once set up it is not rare that we run into more problems (low memory) so I would forget about that for now.

I tried a Diskpatch read-only scan (since writing is disabled due to no logfile) to see if there are tons of disk errors or only a few.  It seemed to get stuck on sector 80896 and wouldn't continue.

Even only one bad sector in the 'right' spot can result in Windows failing to boot. Your best option is to see if you can clone the disk.

--
Kind regards,
Joep - My blog @: www.disktuna.com - Try my JPEG Repair Tool: https://youtu.be/Ox2F8QRuU5Q
jsbrink

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 11:36:34 PM »

Joep,

Thanks for the reply.  I downloaded the latest version of Diskpatch onto a CD and used that.  During startup I got all green checkmarks (including MBR) except Partition Backup (yellow !).  Does this mean my MBR is ok after all and I've got a corrupt disk?

I didn't have a second floppy disk and I understood from your reply that log files aren't needed during cloning, so I didn't perform your floppy/DOS troubleshooting (let me know if that was a mistake).  I started the HDD to HDD clone (bad drive is 200 GB, good drive is 250 GB) in Pass 1 Only.  It took about 4 hrs to go from sector 0 to sector 3348480 (just under 1% complete) when it seemed to freeze.  ESC didn't work and after 20 min I powered down.  There were 544 bad sectors at that time (between 1/6 and 1/7 of sectors I attempted to clone). 

I just started Diskpatch back up and started the Pass 1 Only from sector 3348480 and it's running fine (for now). 

It would appear that it's going to take 2+ days just to complete Pass 1 - is that normal?  Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks for the continued support.

Jeff

jsbrink

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 11:50:35 PM »

One more thing - when I started Pass 1 Only for the second time, I changed the "skip X sectors after error" to 2048 hoping that would help.
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 08:23:04 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  I downloaded the latest version of Diskpatch onto a CD and used that.  During startup I got all green checkmarks (including MBR) except Partition Backup (yellow !).  Does this mean my MBR is ok after all and I've got a corrupt disk?
That means you downloaded the previous version. It could be the mirrors haven't been updated yet, use the local download link:
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/downloads/Demo/DiskPatch_Setup.exe

Don't abort the cloning for this though, if the cloning process is going okay this time let it run. If you think cloning is going bad and wish to abort, then you could setup the new version and run the disk health check (only abort the cloning if just about every sector produces a read error. If possible, let us know how many read errors/skipped blocks have shown up, and also add the number of sectors that have been cloned sofar in total, se we can get an idea of how big a percentage of the disk is getting cloned successfully).

Two days for cloning is long, yes, but that could very well be caused by the rather bad state of the disk.

jsbrink

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 03:43:15 AM »

Tom,

Thanks for the help.  The disk has 390721967 sectors and I've cloned 104161282 over the past 4 days.  I've had just over 11,000 errors so far (it was holding at 1/6 to 1/7 of the disk, not sure where we're at now).  Sounds like I should abort the cloning and run the new version.  Should I wipe the cloned disk and start from scratch, or have the new version pick up from where the old left off?

I just booted up with the new version.  All green checkmarks except a red ! for disk health.  I also ran the SMART tool disk health report and it shows disk health at 0%.  This means I have a dead disk with no hope of recovery?  Disk temperature was 33 deg C (after a couple hours of running clone), do hard drive have fans that would've failed?  The new disk was at 13 deg C. 

So what next, if anything?
Thanks,
Jeff
Tom
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 09:58:30 AM »

Sounds like I should abort the cloning and run the new version.
No, we haven't changed anything in the clone module for this version.
Should I wipe the cloned disk and start from scratch, or have the new version pick up from where the old left off?
No, leave it as is. Why kill what you already have? Try to continue from where you left off, if you did stop.

It looks like the disk is in very bad shape and i'm not confident that you will get much from it. If possible, you should continue the clone and then analyze the cloned disk with iRecover, but you may need to consider the net worth here. If you have stuff you absolutely need back then by all means, take as much time as you need and let the clone run. But if the data isn't that important or if you have backups, save your time and start over on a new disk.

The disk temperature is not a problem, the values are well within operating specs.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length